Have to fix my Quad ESL 57

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Have such condition,
got them last month and they sound crackling on high volumes on some cheenies amp.
one them makes the amplifire set to "defense mode" when the sound to high volumes
First I want to set why it happening?
I suspect first of all the:
- Tweeter (Squeaker?) to turn off (unsolder it connections)
- Replace the Sound Transformer from another speaker
- Replace the Bias Transformer from another speaker

JT6VK3O.jpg

hqELNkc.jpg

Need a lots of help here, how to restore and fix it.
In addition I searching for another amp,
At this moment I have:
- some chinies Lepy
71MUV48%2B22L._SX679_.jpg

and some receivers like Sony STR-DN1080 and some Piooner

In addition: how to disscharge it, without waiting one day after each procedure?

thanks for any help!

Last edited:
Ok, After replacing the transformare between the speakers it not helped.
at this point , I plan to replace the other transformare resistors.
I removed the all 5 tweeters/squikers connectors (with the bias) and the protecting mode error stoped (of the bias protection).
new I can hear on high volumes but without the tweeter,
I found more errors like electrical noises from bios transformare , some nylone voice from the membrane.
and some electrical sparkles inside one of the woofers (or both) on vary high volumes that I tried.

Unfortunatly not having any mesh for one of the tweeters/squikers, have to find some to replace with+ 2pairs of mineral wool.

have to buy the repairing materials or buy a now tweeter/squizer.

*It workes much better on sony 1080 !

*Must to add a ground! to this system. even if it wont improve.

S8dtLv3.jpg

Last edited:
The ESL57's are some of the finest, most delicate speakers ever made, but they're NOT designed to play LOUD.

Download one of the various sound level apps for your phone, unless you have a real sound level meter. Even with the uncalibrated apps, if you're anywhere around 90dB, it's too LOUD for the Quad. And if you see sparks inside, congratulations, you've just fried your speakers.

Plus, the Quad's present a capacitive load and work best with top quality tube amp's. The abomination of an amp you pictured will NOT do; it may even oscillate and deep fry your speakers.

Ok, I will test it later.
at this point I have only one tweeter not function well.
and some buzzing noise from the bias transformere.
planning to replace all the resistors, capacitors and diodes. only to get sure that all function good.

do you have some suggestion to replace the felt on the tweeter?

thanks.

It appears in the pictures above that there is a lot of RTV on the treble panel. That's not a good sign and I suspect that it has been damaged by overdriving it in the past. Then someone tried to isolate the damage by injecting it with RTV. I've seen this before in panels I've rebuilt. I suppose it might work for limited damage, but the amount and multiple locations you've got indicates some fairly extensive damage.

The amp is probably tripping the protection circuit when the treble panel arcs and the speaker appears like a near short to the amp.

The problem with treble panel damage is that the original damage forms a short path for future arcing and also a short for the bias supply. I suspect that you can hear humming through the bass panels as well due to the loading of the supply.

Sheldon
quadesl.com

I started from one transformare, disolder it and little bit colored it.
I plan to extend the cable for it and put it out side of the speaker, because it heavy and makes the speaker heavier!
ad0fnh8.jpg

WlOlsl6.jpg

I cant find any capacitors that will fit for the repairing the crossover,
I accidently destroyed the original pair:
j0eHs7L.jpg

I cant find any replacemet for it: I need
1- 1120pF 4000v (2*560pF)
2- 560pF 4000v

I tried ebay and searched on the web and couldn't find any.
I found some other option for type of caps that I can connect them in serial
m5xqBRY.png

The first option is to combine: 1000pF 10,000v MKT SIEMENS
1nF 10 000V 1 pcs * SIEMENS B32237A9102M000 MKT 1000 pF 10kV HV Tesla Coil Ham | eBay
1- 1000pF 10,000v
2- 500pF 20,000v (-||-||- 1000pF||1000pF each 10,000v)

The second option is to combine: 2200pF 2000v MKP10 WIMA
WIMA 2200PF 2000V MKP10 AUDIO Polyester Film Capacitors 4 pcs/ 10 pcs/ 20pcs | eBay
1- 1100pF 4000v (-||-||- 2200pF||2200pF each 2000v)
2- 550pF 8000v (-||-||-||-||- 2200pF||2200pF||2200pF||2200pF each 2000v)

What do you think about it?

Searching for some shop for electronic parts.
In addition, I want the sound board with "Gas Discharge Tube "
I just dont know what to use
maybe CG3 like this one (little bit expensive)
Gas Discharge Tube (GDT), Low Capacitance, CG3 Series, 5 kV, Axial Leaded, 5 kA, | eBay
CFxrerj.png

And which zener-diodes can I use for the protecting board?
like this one
Hkei9mQ.jpg

*not my picture!

Still not got any answere about the caps on serial mod.

In addition, I found some source on the internet that dissapointed me, that this speakers works only up to 10,000hz :(

Last edited:
Those pictures are mine. You don't want to use the gas discharge tube. In my experience they are not as reliable long term as I'd like. That bottom picture is the standard Quad zener and bridge rectifier board that I designed. I have them available on OSHPark for people to use themselves. Here's the zener board writeup on my blog: Sheldon’s World >> Blog Archive >> Original Quad ESL Treble Protection Boards

Also the original ESL's certainly play higher than 10KHz, you can see that on my measurements page: SDS Audio Labs - Quad Electrostatic Loudspeaker Measurements

Sheldon
quadesl.com

About the coating:
I searching to create some.
- I heard that some just using antistatic spray
- I got some elvamide crystals from ebay
- I read about "organosol" (that made of Phenol) from here The Quad ESL - Original Quad Coating
and still cant understand ther to find the material and how its work.

Someone mention "arc clamping boards"
Can some one send me a link how to make one ?

thanks.

Those pictures are mine. You don't want to use the gas discharge tube. In my experience they are not as reliable long term as I'd like. That bottom picture is the standard Quad zener and bridge rectifier board that I designed. I have them available on OSHPark for people to use themselves. Here's the zener board writeup on my blog: Sheldon’s World >> Blog Archive >> Original Quad ESL Treble Protection Boards

Also the original ESL's certainly play higher than 10KHz, you can see that on my measurements page: SDS Audio Labs - Quad Electrostatic Loudspeaker Measurements

Sheldon
quadesl.com
still cant understand which diodes and zener-diode models is the best to use on this board?

which board do you apply for quad esl 63, and can I use them on quad 57?
http://getinthewoodchipper.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/IMG_0178.jpg
http://getinthewoodchipper.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/IMG_1352.jpg

thanks.

Last edited:

Sheldon
quadesl.com
WOW,
I still reading your book.
Quad esl63 using the gass tube somewhere,
Can I use it in additional with esl57?
thanks again!

SF4007 is high speed diode and BY228 is "standard'(50/60Hz) one. BY228 is also an avalanche type meaning higher breakdown energy <=> more reliable.
If bias circuit is powered by mains connected/fed transformer then you can.

Can you send me some like for some guide that explains how detect the the right diode?

some one explain me one about repairing of trasistors for other one in this site: All Transistors. Datasheet. Cross Reference Search. Transistor Database.

I know how diode works,but dont know what the meaning of the values.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.