Have to fix my Quad ESL 57

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I really dont know what much else to say.You purchased something off of Ebay (unseen,no waranty) its pot luck !!!.That does NOT make you an idiot.Millions of people take a punt on Ebay.some you win/lose. Keep at it.You will end up with some nice speakers. Best regards
I not bough it from EBAY, I bought it from my country, self pickup, but I compare it to Ebay prices and not have enough knowledge about it!
to that point I only tried to restore some Electrostatic headphones and Fail!!! (they sound bad!, because of bad glue and bad stretch)
but I got lots of knowledge from this trying.
to this moment I finish to read lots of books and guides about ESL speakers and quad esl 57
so I want to try again and fix this issue.
I tried a lot! and even bought the kit from ERaudio and the guide to do so.
The only thing that upset me now is the time that i spend, the money and the materials that I still need and searching for.

RE:panels.
Quads need a high resistance diaphram to prevent 2nd harmonic distortion. IF !!! the holes are SMALL you might ???? be able to simply patch them and leave it at that.

I gonna open the stators,
I sure that one of them is born a bit with hole
look at the bottom of treble panel when there is RTV (Silicon) used
I goind to strech another membrane,
but before that I have to fix this hole and make the area as new.

S8dtLv3.jpg

I plan to use this type of epoxy stick to fix the surface
then I will coat it with conductive paint and color it
1-500x500.jpg

and after all I will stretch the membrane from the kit that I bought

Last edited:
I wouldn't attempt to repair the diagphragm on my own. I just replaced the dust covers on my units, and that was just up to my skill (12 um for the bass, 6 um for the treble, perhaps a bit too thick: 6 and 3 would be better). For replacing the diaphragm you'd need a tool for stretching, some special high resistance conductive coating paint, etc. Not an easy task at all, and I didn't dare to do it myself.
The replacement treble units I ordered directly from the manufacturer:

ESL | QUAD | the closest approach to the original sound
Service | QUAD | the closest approach to the original sound

It looks like some of the siliconed areas may only be covering spots where minor arcing was occurring. Those should be easier fixes, as long as you are careful when removing the silicone.

If you have smaller areas of damage to the stator structure, you could just clean/insulate them, and ignore them if full repairs prove too difficult. As a percentage of the total stator area, they seem to be small. 20*log(new area/original area) will give you the loss in decibels for the decreased area. A 10% loss of driven area is only about 1 dB.

If you are still looking for conductive paints, this page suggests using car defogger repair paint. Maybe that's easier to come by in your area. I don't remember if this link was referenced earlier in the thread.
Quad ESL-57 repair by Hey You

Last edited:
The edges of the panels will be much less sensitive to coating resistance than the centre so easier to repair.All you need to make sure is small holes dont run into a huge gash!!!!!
If Quad are still servicing these speakers you should consider replacing the panels,as and when you can afford it.THEN look after them.The should give good service for a lifetime if not overdriven.

It looks like some of the siliconed areas may only be covering spots where minor arcing was occurring. Those should be easier fixes, as long as you are careful when removing the silicone.

If you have smaller areas of damage to the stator structure, you could just clean/insulate them, and ignore them if full repairs prove too difficult. As a percentage of the total stator area, they seem to be small. 20*log(new area/original area) will give you the loss in decibels for the decreased area. A 10% loss of driven area is only about 1 dB.

If you are still looking for conductive paints, this page suggests using car defogger repair paint. Maybe that's easier to come by in your area. I don't remember if this link was referenced earlier in the thread.
cant find there any information about conductive paint that I searching for.

Thanks!
I found lots of guides and images on the internet and books and learn a lots of things.

this site contains more info then I cant obtain :D
here only the faqs section
The Quad ESL - FAQs

or hard maths that I will never understand
Hard Core

I have to set and order the deficient materials, and preper to work on this speakers :D

Unfortunately I tight to much the limit with the capacitors...
For EHT If there is enough space on the board I will buy some WIMA MKP10
But if so I decide to use Polypropylene one with only 2kV and not 2.5kV as other guide reccomended
*Stax amps using this type of capacitors for EHT boards

The other option is to keep the original one and replace only the diodes
CBB Metallized Polypropylene Capacitors 2000V 2kV 102J 103J 104J 474J 105J etc. | eBay

and for the sound I decided to use something like 4kV in series
2 in series (1100pF 2kV*2) and 4 in series (550pF 2kV*4)
s-l1600.jpg

The edges of the panels will be much less sensitive to coating resistance than the centre so easier to repair.All you need to make sure is small holes dont run into a huge gash!!!!!
If Quad are still servicing these speakers you should consider replacing the panels,as and when you can afford it.THEN look after them.The should give good service for a lifetime if not overdriven.

I think that the price is too high to restore it or order another from quad.
in addition I afraid that the bass panels will needs to restore on the future

Last edited:
Wow, my curiosity took me lots of time ...
I disassembled this panel at the first time :(
I had to disassemble some good one for first time :(
Used the most bad method... the cutters (that one pair Brock and almost punched through my eye) [I wore a safety glasses for this work ]
The sellotape on the frame destroyed all the paint
Xlxysj2.jpg

eOyHPPl.jpg

f1vvvNy.jpg

jCK54P9.jpg

72J9bjZ.jpg

This board bend too much :(
Tw24Cqh.jpg

wpa4DFL.jpg

TZQlGzA.jpg

QhLtR10.jpg

This after dissasamly
Front
ukTtEkM.jpg

Back
2ATWsbi.jpg

The diaphragm still glued good but still I deside to restore it as well as new.
This RTV made my exhausted.

but the pivots made my even more... have to find some better method.
and the sellotape, maybe I have to heat it first.

LITTLE FIXING
this is not RTV, this is hot glue

Last edited:

Nope this treble panel makes the amp to set the amp to protect mod when trying to make the volume little higher from low by little bit,
so something not right with it!

I can take measurement from the working one before assembly this one and then assemble the second one too.
and hope for improvement.
I decide to assemble them one by one,
better tension for each one, and not just vertically the same and still after pressing on glue it will make a lot of distortion to the second one tension.

After fixing the treble panels I think that the bass I will remain the same as it.

Not to throw another spanner in the works!!!!BUT can your amp drive the esl.Quad amps are unconditionaly stable.The esl is a NASTY capacitive load a LOT of amps WILL NOT drive them.
I only sold them with a Quad amp.If your amp is unsuited both the esl and your amp may be damaged.(HF ultrasonic oscillation is the problem.)

My amp can work with them fine,
I will buy suitable amp after I will fix them

The Resistance of the speakers input from the transformer is only 1 ohm!
while this speaker instruction set it impedance to 15ohm
so on too low frequencies you will got to low impedance up to 1ohm.

is this resistors ok?
1pcs - Vishay(BC) VR68 1M ohm 1W 1% High Ohmic High Voltage (10KV) Resistor | eBay
I think that they ok.

I though about connect this speakers in serial to 2-5ohm resister to try to overcome the 1 ohm resistance from the transformare

Last edited:
I think you may be confusing DC resistance of transformer windings with the reactive load presented to the amp. You will need a scope and signal generator to see how your amp handles the esl.to look for ringing and hf osc.

The impedance of the esl was not 1 ohm.
Post your amp manufact-model and I will try to find out if ok.
series resistors of 5 ohm will help in this regard but would reduce sensitivity.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.