Have to fix my Quad ESL 57

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Be aware when using hv caps in series they wont voltage share equally. Each individual cap must be high voltage rated as possible.

If I gonna use thes 2 in series to get 4000v, can It makes any problem ? (I will try to tke the same value nF for equal voltage divider)
s-l1600.jpg

*I will take the risk, Wima is the most quality capacitors that I know

Re diaphram coatings. This seems to be ongoing problem for home made esl.Peter walker must have been a genious to have cracked it in the 1950s. Regarding Phenol its nasty stuff take care with it.

I still for searching ready solution for it, there is no servies in my country and I want to learn how to do it by myself.
I dont know how to strach it good enoght.
which glue can hold it good enoght.
and how to coat it with good enoght material.

if you are going to separate the input transformer (not a great idea IMHO), you need a connector that can handle high voltage signals and not arc from pin to pin. That picture you have above may have problems, particularly with the bass panels.

Sheldon

this aviation connector can handle high voltage.

I want to seperate:
4pins for for trable
3pins for bass+ground

I ordered addition of 2pins connector.
at this point I plan to use a regular 230V electricity cable {dual shielded [[]] }.

I plan to use this connectors only for servies and mybe I will change my mind and put the tranformare inside,
but still I think that this will be much easier decision to put this heavy thing out side of the speaker.

Last edited:
I'm with Sheldon on the concern about the connector at anything but low drive levels.

The term "high voltage" covers a very broad range. ESL drive voltages are more extreme than typical connectors can handle.

For the bass panels, I believe the step-up ratio is 270. At a 25 watt input, you're looking at about 14 volts RMS in to the transformer x 270 = 3780 V RMS at the transformer output. x 2.8 = 10584 volts peak-to-peak.

But the amparage is decreased after the tranformer .

Its not possible that regular soldering holds on and connection will not
$_10.JPG

2-4 pins set for 7A*125V === it means: 875 watts
I can calculate it for 875 watts: 10584 volts*2 (pp) = 21168v
for 21168v
it will holds up to 0.04A = 40mA for connector held on

25 watt input, you're looking at about 14 volts
means: 25/14 = 1.79A
after the tranformer ratio of 270 it will be:
1.79/270 = 0.007A = 7mA moves through 25watts begin value

for regular electricity cable the standart values is: 230V*16A = 3680 Watts

Last edited:
Wattage is not the parameter of concern in this scenario. Pin spacing and the ability to arc between pins is the worry.

If you look at the "Withstanding voltage" line, that connector is rated for 1500 V RMS short-term. You'll be over double its voltage rating at a moderate drive level. Sometimes ratings are conservative and you have room to over drive, sometimes they're not. People are just trying to point out areas that might give you trouble.

Wattage is not the parameter of concern in this scenario. Pin spacing and the ability to arc between pins is the worry.

If you look at the "Withstanding voltage" line, that connector is rated for 1500 V RMS short-term. You'll be over double its voltage rating at a moderate drive level. Sometimes ratings are conservative and you have room to over drive, sometimes they're not. People are just trying to point out areas that might give you trouble.

for bass I can use 2 separate connectors for + and - (I can solder the pins inside the connector in parralel),
But I still not have any idia for such connector.

I addition I need some conductive color to fix a small hole inside the tweeter
the cheapest one that I found is: https://www.amazon.com/Jet-Lube-Ant...ductive-Termination/dp/B004GZG04U/ref=sr_1_80
but I still not sure about it conductivity and applyment.
some idias ?

Last edited:
I'm assuming you are talking about a repair to the stator. Years ago, I used Nickel Print when I needed highly conductive paint (not for diaphragm coating, it's too conductive and heavy for that application). I have not done a repair on an ESL-57 with it though. I've also not used the replacement version, but here it is:

MG Chemicals 841AR-15ML
841AR-15ML - Nickel Conductive Print - Conductive Prints | MG Chemicals

https://www.amazon.com/MG-Chemicals-Nickel-Conductive-Coating/dp/B075Y3DBKP

Found some materials:
Nickel CONDUCTIVE PRINT
Coper CONDUCTIVE PRINT
Carbon CONDUCTIVE PRINT ???
Graphit CONDUCTIVE PRINT ???

but unfurtuatly the shipping cost is to high! :eek:

this is the cheapest one but with half and low amout and from graphit?
KOC-GRAPHIT33/200 - Conductive coating Graphit33 200ml Kontakt Chemie | eBay
s-l1600.jpg

Cant find some with good shipping

So found that the wooden dust filters just glued together.
Unfurtunatly found this boards bent a lot, hop that the stators is fine,
quadesl.org suggest use the bent factor and replace between the boards.
still have to fix some paint inside the trebble pannel.
In addition ordered the repair kit,
do I have to drill all the "screw" parts?. if so I plan just use some bigger dril and drill only the top of the top of the bit, or use some grinding stone with the Dremel

damn its so hard job, If I know so then I will never payed soo high price for them (~ $450)
I gonna spend a lots of days only to try and fix it.
reminding all the failures to fix my Stax broken headphones (that I broke) with wrong tension, wrong glue that sound shitty at last.
I like soo much the world of ESL, but not have enoth money for good stuff :(
but still found myself spend another $450 or more only to fix it,
after tryed to spare some money on used stuff.

another question
do minaral wool is ok?
do 24KG/1m^2 ok? or use 12KG/1m^2 ?
there is not mineral, a regular wool with 100KG/1m^2
which one better?
Earthwool-glass-mineral-wool-insulation-roll.jpg_220x220.jpg

*have to find some way to glue it too

Still have to find some Felt material for the treble pannels.

Last edited:
I used to sell these back in the late 1970s.Cost less than £450 new.However little else at that time could match their strong points,But no good for those that liked their music loud.
Today pound=dollar so given the price and effort of the repairs + initial cost Legopart will have to love them to make the project worthwhile.
Quad were a funny company it was well known in the trade they would often repair equipment out of warranty free of charge in order to maintain the Rolls Royce image.
Also I think the damper English climate suited the esl.

Here in the states, $450 for a set of quads which are complete and in need of a rebuild isn't a bad deal. Those looks like they have some treble panel issues that may mean it's not rebuildable.

Sheldon
I done such stupid thing because the overpricing on Ebay, that even untested one or even one panel sold sold there in this price
I didn't think how bad it could be

I plan to fill the gapes with epoxy glue and restore the holes

another problem,
I bough the kit from ERaudio and the kit incluad only 3.5micron diaphragm for bass and for treble :eek:
I read a lot that require 6micron one. from here for example The Quad ESL - Treble Panel
I think that it may be not good decision?

I still have to buy some materials and then I will start the restoring
when I will start, then I do one pannel by time, first the problematic treble panel

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.