Refurbising Quad ESL57

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i all, i recently acquired four Quad ESL 57 that i want to refurbish. Number one pair is´74 and second pair '75 according to the serials that i want to refurbish. Number one is being disassembled and cleaned. I have a question about the resistors that i will replace, found some on digikey but not totally sure which ones to by? I would appreciate links so i can get the wright parts.
Br. Elmar

Last edited:
I just read the thread from earlier, and have been looking for appropriate 560pf caps. (I already ordered some inappropriate ones.) I found some, ranging up to $90 ... each. I know they have to be high-voltage caps, but does anyone have specific recommendations?

I haven't found a completely satisfactory solution. I generally keep the caps and replace the resistors, because I am of the (nonscientific) belief that the caps are part of the voicing and magic of the speaker. You can put a highish voltage 1200pf and a 1000pf film cap in series and make a 550pf cap that way.

I keep meaning to call Illinois Cap and ask about the cost of a run of 560 pf 4kv film caps.

Sheldon

Morning all, i am making a shopping list of parts for the Quad´s i found GP02-40 Vishay diodes and will order the protection boards from oshpark.com but i would also like to replace the High voltage wires, what do you use there?

Attachments

• 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    920.7 KB · Views: 188
for all the bass panel wiring, I use this:
6733-0 Pomona Electronics | Cables, Wires | DigiKey

Sheldon

:ashamed:
I ordered this type of cables
12M 18AWG 10KV Electric Copper Core Flexible Silicone Wire Cable Red for RC | eBay
15M Length 18AWG 10KV Electric Copper Core Flexible Silicone Wire Cable White | eBay

18AWG 10KV silicone Copper (Tin Plated)
Red+White

also got 20AWG 6KV silicone Copper (Tin Plated) RED+WHITE+BLACK
From ERAudio restoring kit

your suggestion looks really good (18AWG 10KV silicone Copper) [15M]
6733-0 Pomona Electronics | Cables, Wires | DigiKey
6733-2 Pomona Electronics | Cables, Wires | DigiKey
Black and Red

but I think that even with my passion to idialism, I not gonna by some.

and you know that I much happier when I made even the most shitty crossover with WIMA MKP10 Cap :D

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.