Repairing a multi cell horn body

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
One of my Gaumont Kalee horns has a crinkle or dent on the front edge, which I’d like to repair without doing further damage, the original damage is from dropping the horn on one of its front mounting brackets.

I’m curious to how others here may have gone about removing dents, being the horn is 2 skins and possibly tar filled?.
Does anyone know how the 2 skins were bonded, are they soldered?

Any help appreciated, I can upload a picture or two If required
Cheers
MM

Since it is the inside of the cell that matters I would use a small hammer of no more than two ounces to very lightly tap out the damage. I mean tap not hit. It should be done extremely gradually. Hundreds if not thousands if taps. No two taps in exactly the same place. Properly done it should leave a reasonably smooth surface requiring perhaps a sanding. But I wouldn't sand it.

It will amaze folks how much you can shape metal with small taps and lots of patience. OF COURSE WEAR HEARING PROTECTION.

The outside could then be fixed with automotive body putty.

Of course if you can find a tradesman known as a "Panel Thumper" they just might be able to help you.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
If the mounting bracket is removable, that's step one.

It's sheet metal and not likely tar filled between what you call the skins, so you may be able to form it partway with crescent wrenches and/or duckbill pliers before proceeding as Ed has suggested. I would then turn it damaged side down and support it on a buck or anvil. There are specialized bodyshop hammers made of metal, wood, plastic and rubber that are common and easily sourced.

Mr. Simon, around here they are referred to as tin bashers (sheet metal mechanics) or bodymen, (auto body mechanics) and yes they may be your best bet. Not cheap though.

Then after surgery, if you water and fertilize them you may get them to grow into these. ;)

Attachments

• IMG_2013.jpg
    IMG_2013.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
Cal,

I expect a panel thumper to take a piece of flat sheet metal and be able to turn it into an ornate fender. Last I knew there ain't many who can do that, although there has been a recent tv based revival in some of the needed skills.

For newbies I like to start them off with a one ounce ball peen hammer watching what they tap.

Body dollies, shapers, slammers, drikes and other tools I suspect require a bit more skill.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.