Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

What's the Best Way To Mount an Exciter?
What's the Best Way To Mount an Exciter?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th May 2019, 03:54 AM   #1
cerrec is offline cerrec
diyAudio Member

Default What's the Best Way To Mount an Exciter?

Hello,

I've been experimenting with the Dayton Audio DAEX30HESF-4 exciter, and attaching it to the shiny side of erasable whiteboard. This results in spectacular sound through most of the audio spectrum. Highs in particular are amazing. However, in the bass, there is so much energy being released that the double stick tape cannot hold the exciter firmly enough against the board, and I get buzzing. The question is, how can I more firmly attach the exciter to the board? Should I try to attach it using the provided four mounting holes? And if so, how exactly do I do that? Or should I use a stronger adhesive? Or both? I welcome all suggestions!

Old 12th May 2019, 08:39 PM   #2
cubby01 is offline cubby01  United States
diyAudio Member

I would go with better adhesive tape. All the dayton exciters I had pulled free. I had some better 3M high bond product left over from a project a couple years ago that worked better. I've also superglued them in place but that's somewhat permanent.
Old 12th May 2019, 11:52 PM   #3
DMLBES is offline DMLBES
diyAudio Member

The provided four mounting holes aren't used to attach the exciter to the panel.

Adhesive of choice is 2 part 5min. Epoxy glue....Make sure you peel off the double tape from the exciter before using the epoxy.
Old 13th May 2019, 05:51 AM   #4
Calvin is offline Calvin  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hi,

IŽd say

jauu
Calvin
Old 15th May 2019, 03:11 AM   #5
cerrec is offline cerrec
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMLBES View Post
The provided four mounting holes aren't used to attach the exciter to the panel.
Pardon my noob ignorance, but if they're not for attaching the exciter, what are they for?
Old 15th May 2019, 04:35 AM   #6
DMLBES is offline DMLBES
diyAudio Member

Its used to mount the exciter in place. Its not used to attach the exciter to the panel material as that is what the 3m double stick tape is for.

Last edited by DMLBES; 15th May 2019 at 04:38 AM.
Old 15th May 2019, 04:42 PM   #7
cerrec is offline cerrec
diyAudio Member

Would attaching the exciter to the panel with four screws have any effect in regard to stopping the buzzing from bass notes?
Old 15th May 2019, 10:32 PM   #8
DMLBES is offline DMLBES
diyAudio Member

It could have some effect but its not desirable. The amount of force used with the screws to tighten the exciter to the panel will hinder voice coil vibrations as the voice coil can only take very little pressure pushing against it before it hinders the sound.

I use 2 part 5min. Epoxy glue and I never had a problem with buzzing from bass notes.

If after you use the epoxy glue and you still hear a buzzing its probably due to the exciter not being mounted in place. At higher (bass) excursions what you are hearing is actually the magnet part of the exciter rattling and making a buzzing sound because its not securely mounted in place which is what the four screw holes is actually intended for.
Old 16th May 2019, 12:38 AM   #9
cerrec is offline cerrec
diyAudio Member

So what you are saying is try epoxy first, and if there's still buzzing, attach four screws?
Old 16th May 2019, 01:45 AM   #10
DMLBES is offline DMLBES
diyAudio Member

Epoxy is used to mount the exciters voice coil to the panel material...…...the 4 screw holes on the exciter is used to mount the exciter itself to a wall,brace,spline etc basically like mounting a conventional cone driver on a hard wood surface to keep it in place.

What's the Best Way To Mount an Exciter?Hide this!Advertise here!