So I got 2 sets of Magnepans! And both scored for less then $100 bucks! WHOO HOO!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So I have been wanting a set for a LONG TIME! And now I even got a rebuild kit with the last pair I bought!

Man, some of those Buyers on Craigslist are just Idiots! I snapped them up the second I could get them.

And I am looking forward to doing the best repair job I can. Man, today IS A GOOD DAY!

I will try to post more pics as soon as the mod lets me post threads!

Congratulations! I would really like to hear Magnepans, but the nearest dealer is close to 1000 miles from here. There are a few used ones come up locally occasionally but they tend to be really old since we haven’t had a local dealer since the 80s. Sometimes pricing is silly. For instance, there is a pair of MG1 for sale right now. Supposedly used for a short time and then stored - for what, maybe 30+ years! The seller wants 875$ for them and doesn’t even know if they still work.
There is a set of 2bs for sale a 5+ hour drive from here for 500$. Again old enough for them to almost surely need a rebuild.
Please post some pics for the rebuild process. It’s good info to have here.

They're worth checking out if you can audition a pair. Definitely not perfect but far from bad. I had borrowed a pair of Mags about 5-6 years ago that a buddy wanted $300 for... still regret not grabbing them. Had I combined those with some nice bass, I may not still be playing with DIY stuff... :p

They're worth checking out if you can audition a pair. Definitely not perfect but far from bad. I had borrowed a pair of Mags about 5-6 years ago that a buddy wanted $300 for... still regret not grabbing them. Had I combined those with some nice bass, I may not still be playing with DIY stuff... :p

Ah Yes, the road not taken. I’ve tried a few different speakers over the years but I don’t have the budget to be experimenting too much. There isn’t a lot for sale here locally in used gear. If you live close to a major city there are lots of choices in used gear available through canuckaudiomart. You can buy, try and then resell without too much loss. Shipping alone is a big consideration out here on the east coast.
From the reading I’ve done an older pair of Maggie’s, say from the 80s, is most likely going to need work if it hasn’t been repaired in the past. Looking at the procedures for repairing unglued wires and replacing tweeter wiring it seems doable but it certainly lowers the value of a pair of mg 1 to way below 875$ for me.

Congratulations!! Your problems have just begun! Just kidding. I have owned 3 sets of maggies now all needing some form of repair. What models did you end up with. You will need a stout amp to play them effectively. I use the honey badger with beefy output stage. Works well. Get the repair kits from Magnepan. Easiest way to go. Take the grill cloths off and get a good visual of the voicecoils. By new grill cloth and paint siderails and will look brand new.

Which Maggie models did you get? With careful room placement they can be magical. I have a friend who has a stock pair of older MG II's and the only mod was to set them into a firm footed solid metal stand. Made a nice improvement. Even stock they are lovely if you feed them clean power.

Score! Its real smart having two sets. When one pair breaks down you can swap over and listen to the newly repaired pair avoiding weeks of no music.

Even better the times both pairs are working you can set them up together in parallel so the impedance drop isn't so savage on your amp and also enjoy better bass. Four pairs would be even better ......

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.