Is a DIY planar speaker worth it?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Another good choice is to consider used. I have purchased 3 sets of maggies none more than 300 bucks. I have repaired the speakers with much info and repair kits from magneplanar. Listening to model 2's for a couple of years now. Total investment of $400 and about 6 hours of enjoyable work.

Pick up a used pair. Do that first. You can get them for around a $100 bones. I now own 2 of them. THe first set was the MMG1 I think, and Today I picked up a pair WITH THE REPAIR KIT! for the same $100 bucks but MMGa

Dude, these things are EASY! And if you really go all out, MAN can you make them sound better then ANYTHING OUT THERE!

Try to pick up a pair that is NOT WORKED ON! THat is the best way to go! The set I picked up today is missing the wood side panels. NO PROBLEM! EASY TO MAKE super NICE moldings for these. I plan to put them in some SUPER nice ROse wood! Maybe even Glass that lights up Plexi.

Skys the limit!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.