Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Quad 2805 power supply malfunction?
Quad 2805 power supply malfunction?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th June 2019, 08:21 PM   #81
stokessd is offline stokessd  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by malthuse View Post
I would add as an aside my esl63s continue to perform in exemplary fashion. Even when the 2905s are playing fine they seem a little strident and shouts compared to the 63s. Is it just me?
The guts of both speakers are effectively identical. There have been different types of passive components in the circuitry over the years. And the original clamp circuit was a bit different if your 63's are not the very latest revision. The speakers after the 63's use a grille which is perf-metal and is not as open as either of the 63 grilles. That could lead to a bit of a cavity resonance effect, but that would be a quite high frequencies.

So in general, I can't point to any one thing that could be causing the differences, but I can believe there is a difference.

I'm a big fan of the original 63's, they are cheap these days and to my eyes look the best. They blend into the surroundings better than 2805's or 2812's. The giant quads like the 2912's just CAN'T blend due to their insane size.

Sheldon
Old 9th June 2019, 02:07 AM   #82
malthuse is offline malthuse  Canada
diyAudio Member

Holy crap! I think I worked it out. I hooked up a giant McCormack DNA 500 that I have just to check it out. I was surprised that it didn’t trigger any clamping, so I put on the songs that seem to make the speakers clamp predictably every time. Nada. Big fat dynamic orchestral pieces at huge volume.......nada.

Now the fact that the Quad Artera shuts down may be of interest. Is it possible the Artera is causing the speakers to clamp? It would explain everything, that fact that switching panels, the board did nothing. The amp shutting down.

Quad 2805 power supply malfunction?Hide this!Advertise here!