ESL57 rebuilt panel hum

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I had no battery about to test coating resistance so i wiped the diaphragm over to reduce the coating a bit, cleaned the inside of the stator i could get at, ran a hair dryer over the diaphragm (not that i think it tightened much) and put it back together.
And...
The hum has almost gone.
There is still a faint sizzle but you have to be 6" away from it to hear it. It takes far longer to go quiet when unplugged too. It reduces a little in volume after 30 seconds but carrys on plating for a few minutes. I might leave it powered up for a little while, see what happens.
Getting somewhere though, even though its not solved, ive at least changed the severity of the problem which suggests i can eliminate it if i keep trying.

I had no battery about to test coating resistance so i wiped the diaphragm over to reduce the coating a bit, cleaned the inside of the stator i could get at, ran a hair dryer over the diaphragm (not that i think it tightened much) and put it back together.
And...
The hum has almost gone.
There is still a faint sizzle but you have to be 6" away from it to hear it. It takes far longer to go quiet when unplugged too. It reduces a little in volume after 30 seconds but carrys on plating for a few minutes. I might leave it powered up for a little while, see what happens.
Getting somewhere though, even though its not solved, ive at least changed the severity of the problem which suggests i can eliminate it if i keep trying.

Basically just redid exactly this once more and im pretty sure the sizzle has gone. Only got half the nuts and bolts in it as im sick of doing up and undoing 60 odd bolts every time. Think ill put it together properly and use it for a bit and see what happens.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.