Breaking news: Ionovac is Airborne!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
They said it couldn't be done but MIT has done it!!!

A greater breakthrough for audio than graphene!

(This will be of special interest to Bolserst)

With no moving parts, this plane flies on the ionic wind – TechCrunch

Will this make ground-based loudspeakers at stadium concerts obsolete?

Ummm, I wonder if anyone has asked them about ozone production?

B.

EHD lifter ??? decades ago ? so they converted it in a horizontal flying thing with a slingshot :) i wonder if it is caring its own power source. although not much needed.

wy the looks of it is more plane design then the propulsion. bit/exactly like a glider :) that are slings shotted

although cool :) i lately question MIT a bit since there retarded water out of thin arir project. based on existing technology :) like a dehumidifier

Last edited:
… I wonder if anyone has asked them about ozone production?
According to the article, unlike EHD lifters the thrust is not coming from motion of the generated ions, but from the motion of air pulled/pushed along by the ions as they travel from the corona emitters to the collectors. Perhaps this pitcher-catcher closed loop charge path arrangement minimizes ozone generation, but seems unlikely it would prohibit it all together.

Certainly ozone is something to be wary of. You may recall the Nelson Pass Ion Cloud speaker, which operated as a push-pull ESL but with an ionized layer of air rather than a diaphragm. To quote the man…"It was the perfect high end audio product: Exotic, inefficient, expensive, unavailable, and toxic."
Pass plasma speaker history?

As with most things, there are current patent application on the concept (see Fig. 10-12 of attached application)

Attachments

• MIT_ionic_wind.pdf
    487.7 KB · Views: 65
  • 9108CMTHR-IMG-JS-Ionic.jpg
    9108CMTHR-IMG-JS-Ionic.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 471
  • ESL_Fluid_US20090022340.pdf
    473 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Perhaps this pitcher-catcher closed loop charge path arrangement minimizes ozone generation, but seems unlikely it would prohibit it all together.

Any way to do pitcher-catcher as a speaker?

Thanks for posting about Nelson Pass's speaker. They could call it the Toxic Tones Speaker.

(I hope everybody realized I was kidding proposing this airplane as a stadium speaker.)

B.

Too Cool !!!

For years I have wondered if that would work, but it wasn't until today's technologies and components make it possible to produce such a power supply light enough and small enough to accomplish this.

I got the idea from a project in the World Book Encyclopedia in the 5th grade on how to build an Ion Motor ..... 45 years ago!!! He,he,he

jer :)

Why can't the ozone-air be confined to a bag - like Dayton-Wright ESLs? Or use more electronic smarts to control the high voltage to minimize ozone? Or without breaking-the-bank, have a fan to exhaust the ozone from the corona directly out of doors (but not in the direction of the south pole, I guess)? Or.......

You can count on your fingers how many alternatives to the crude heavy oscillating voice-coil driver (Rice-Kellogg) are in use. As engineering concepts go, that's as inelegant as using a reciprocating internal combustion engine to drive a vehicle. A real pity.

B.
Footnote: a few years ago, I spent some time investigating air cleaners and ion generators with health claims. Easy to buy them at the local Salvation Army store, at the time. Installed a big one in my heat-pump furnace and it did collect some air trash in the house. There are real problems for DIYer to assess how much ozone is being produced. With the termination of smoking in restaurants, you don't see much interest in these devices today.

Last edited:
@bentoronto
If there is no oxygen there is no ozone and/or nitrogen dioxide. As I posted before some modern freons are as good as sulfur hexafluoride but easier/safer. Due to large molecule it well might be possible to contain it using plastic bag. However ark means disassemblance not only the molecules but atoms as well so some kinda argon filled bag should do. It's inexpensive and produce nice white glow as well.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.