Planar magnetic distortion

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys, i am lately playing with some metal and the cnc, i thought it would not cut it but it does. although be it with allot of chatter, so Ok for prototyping but i would not dare put it on and get a cofee :)

i measured my distortion at different outputs and i wondered if there is a reason why the second order harmonic ,multiplies in percentage compared to the 3th that remained the same or maybe even went down.

The planar is sitting in a tractrix horn, that is far from perfect and gives this nice wiggle in the top end :) but it does add some db's to the low end.

anyhow here are the measurements

First at low volume @ 1 meter Pic 1

Pic 2 at at 60 cm @ 96 dB at 1 meter. (so compensated because the room became a problem)

Pic 3 the contraption

Now i wondered why in the high spl measurement, the 3th order distortion remains under 0.08% from 500 hz and up compared to the rocketing second order. i dont see a correlation to the third harmonic when spl is upped. it just remains low or get even lower. any one have a clue why thats happening and what might cause the second order to sky rocket. although still being under ~0.2% it does make up for almost alllllll the THD, the second order tracks the total harmonic almost 1:1

Attachments

• neo15 in a tractrix  horn low spl.jpg
    neo15 in a tractrix horn low spl.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 249
  • 97 dB ouptut at 1 meter.jpg
    97 dB ouptut at 1 meter.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 254
  • 20181120_203953.jpg
    20181120_203953.jpg
    502.5 KB · Views: 255
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.