piega factory tour video

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
...I remember seeing the Nieuwendijk tweeter in an earlier edition of Martin Colloms' "High Performance Loudspeakers" book. I think it had a central magnet but I'm having a hard time tracking down the figure I can remember.
Was it one of these?

Attachments

• Nieuwendijk_01.png
    Nieuwendijk_01.png
    81.3 KB · Views: 112
  • Nieuwendijk_02.png
    Nieuwendijk_02.png
    46.2 KB · Views: 118
weird output goes up and flattens with horn, but distortion rises as well. mainly second order 3th remains the same. maybe because i got a open back on the horn ?

if you bring horn volume down to same level as no horn the distortion will be lower

also if you tame the resonance a bit with some felt or screen restriction on backside of driver you may see a big reduction in distortion

really nice response with horn ! have you done any off axis response curves with horn? I would like to see what directivity looks like[/QUOTE]

i must say i believe the horn was a 50 cm measurements. so spl is not comparable. the volume was actually exactly the same as the other 2. the horn does not add that much in output just a little int he low end, although i wonder if a large baffle would not do the same. :) i might make a dispersion measurement when i got the time. but i think it is as good as the panel alone.

when i close the back the lower resonances change for the better the rest.. remains sort of the same.

kind of weird, response down to 100hz. with a foil of 80x100. not that much. overal it is identical to any other planar if i look at the coil.

The coil is same as others BUT the overall diaphragm is VERY different.

If you scale that thing up you will see that the diaphragm is WAY big, like 8-10 inches wide, but small area driven. Then its critical to notice that the iron pole parts are flat solid surfaces very close to undriven area of diaphragm. This method damps the undriven diaphragm areas well AND allows a very low resonant frequency at the driven area.

I believe the large undriven and well damped area is kindof a lossy place for vibs to dissipate rather than reflect back to driven area from frame.

Ive made protos like this ( but using typical planer magnet configurations) and the response is very smooth into lower frequecys where a small diaphragm goes crazy

also made a concentric planer once, a lager one with one diaphragm carrying both bass conductor and mid tweet conductor. The mid tweet conductors in the center with no mechanical separation between bass and mid tweet conductors. The bass conductors were heavy, I think they were 2 layer of heavyer foil with adhesive between so these areas of diaphragm were acting like a large lossy medium for the tweeter. The mid tweeter was very smooth down to 100 hz. Of course it was thermally chalanged BUT that big lossy well damped diaphragm was a great suspension of sorts for the MRT

BTW it had issues with bass BUT once the crossover was right, male voice was as good and perhaps even better than a lerge pure ribbon doing everything. Spooky real

Last edited:
if you bring horn volume down to same level as no horn the distortion will be lower

also if you tame the resonance a bit with some felt or screen restriction on backside of driver you may see a big reduction in distortion

really nice response with horn ! have you done any off axis response curves with horn? I would like to see what directivity looks like

i must say i believe the horn was a 50 cm measurements. so spl is not comparable. the volume was actually exactly the same as the other 2. the horn does not add that much in output just a little int he low end, although i wonder if a large baffle would not do the same. :) i might make a dispersion measurement when i got the time. but i think it is as good as the panel alone.

when i close the back the lower resonances change for the better the rest.. remains sort of the same.[/QUOTE]

strange its your quote with my name on it?

Last edited:
Here a video of it playing i made a second one since the curve was rather nice. i did make a measurement at 30 mdegree or something nothing much happened. 2 dB here and there but nothing spooky ill try to make a better one.

Here the text i used posting itsomehwere else might explain some of the stuff you hear

Fast and Dirty ! i made a video of the Neo V19 tweeters (yes will it ever end!!!!, well not yet :( ) But i posted a response of an earlier model in a Tractrix Horn (the latest pic in the last post) so i though i make another one real fast so we can have a listen and above all. can i cross with only a 6dB filter ? yes i can :)
so far by the looks of it since the tweeters are playing 9dB softer then the woofers.. so they are relaxed :)

Few things before everyone spam me :) yes i should lower the tweeter even a tad more :) funny how in real life it is not as annoying since i hear twice the amount of low end you hear on Youtube :). on the video i notice to much sibling. aaah well. the first song has that on its own and the third has an overload in highs in general :), so dont bother mentioning :)

Oh also i am a super noob in horns so bare with me :)

But anyhow, i agree at forehand. to much top end ..... well it was about the top end ....... still it sucks.

YouTube

I generally wonder about recordings of systems playing recordings because the sound quality is too poor to be useful. Your video sounds remarkably good through my desktop planars, heard in the nearfield! Maybe your speakers complement the shortcomings of mine--or they both sound nice!

Thanks for sharing the video; it's a nice change from reading forums.

Quick question: Did you find that adding the horns added any of the typical horn "snap" that is usually absent from conventional drivers mounted on flat baffles? I'm on a long journey of trying to figure out what it takes for a system to have that very dynamic snap that I've heard from horns and also from some old large panel ESLs I built. Impedance matching between the driver and the air?

Few

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.