Ribbon desktop speakers?

I'm looking into the possibility of making desktop speakers but I want them to be the best they can be.
Ill be using DSP for any crossovers but I want to use ribbons as far as I can take them.
How low can I go with ribbons for near field?
I'll be sitting only about a foot or two away from the speakers.

My workstation is mobile. Acoustical environments will be variable.
I am struggling to make sense of your search because "mobile" and "quality" and "workstation" don't compute. There is no good solution to a problem that has no good definition whether in acoustics or elsewhere in life.

Maybe something omni-directional with accessible EQ controls?

Have you considered headphones?

B.

You specified ribbons, so this planar magnetic comment may be off the mark. On the off chance it's useful, you could take a look at the diy planar magnetic desktop speakers I've now been using for about 10 months. I really like them, even after shedding the rose colored glasses that come with a freshly completed project.

If you want more detail you can follow the link in that post. It will take you to a lengthy description of the full-size home models that preceded the desktop version, or just let me know.

Few

I am struggling to make sense of your search because "mobile" and "quality" and "workstation" don't compute. There is no good solution to a problem that has no good definition whether in acoustics or elsewhere in life.

Maybe something omni-directional with accessible EQ controls?

Have you considered headphones?

B.
I'm using headphones now, I'm looking for something I don't have to wear on my head.
You seem to imply that desktop speakers cannot sound good unless they are designed around a specific environment, unless we are misunderstanding each other?
You specified ribbons, so this planar magnetic comment may be off the mark. On the off chance it's useful, you could take a look at the diy planar magnetic desktop speakers I've now been using for about 10 months. I really like them, even after shedding the rose colored glasses that come with a freshly completed project.

If you want more detail you can follow the link in that post. It will take you to a lengthy description of the full-size home models that preceded the desktop version, or just let me know.

Few
Do you think a ribbon planar hybrid would be good?

Last edited:
Although I've yet to receive advice on how low I can go before I need to transition.

How much room do you have?

I am not implying that desk speakers can not sound good. I am stating that you can't make good speakers without knowing where they are placed relative to your head and the room and your monitor........... And as I stated in my first post, your application is acoustically weird relative to the world of room-speakers we know about.

As I being saying, there's no good solution without a good definition of the problem.

B.

Last edited:
They will only be placed a couple feet away from my head on either side of my laptop.
As for the room, it will not be a constant variable. The desks I work on are usually a good size though.
I think it would be best to design around some set variables and let the cards lie as they may in terms of room variables.
How do the design parameters change based upon the variables?

How do the design parameters change based upon the variables?
Regarding the bass, you are opting for a separate sub which means better woofing. I suppose it will be on the floor and away from the mains, angularly speaking. So the sub can't cut in too high or it would give its location away, which adds to the challenge for the mains. Corner or mid-wall or just under the desk?

Regarding the treble, depends on whether you can count on a line-of-sight or if the treble has to strong and omni-directional behind your monitor - or are you using only a laptop or tablet? How much room - as much as that nice ribbon in a previous post? Do you "own" the space and is it secure and does the speaker need protection from hazards or shared spaces?

Are you set on ribbons or wide-range or bi-amp or how much has to be off-the-shelf?

B.

A floor mounted woofer could be a bit of an issue. It would be best if I could keep it on the desk.
Line of sight should not be a problem at all.
The plannar speakers that were linked earlier are fine but I could go even bigger. The only thing on the desk is usually just my laptop.
No need to worry too much about protection.

For the drivers, I just want to use the best sounding tech. As far as I know ribbons are best so I'd like to bring them as low as I can go.
I don't know what you mean by "wide-range".
I am not against bi-amping.
I don't require anything to be off shelf necessarily.

Checked him out. Personally I'd like to do something like a mix between the planar speakers FEW linked and a pure ribbon in dipole.
I still have no idea how low ribbons or planar can go in near field though so I have no idea.
In the end the most important factor is that it sounds as clean as possible.

Are ribbons really right for a vibrating desk, laptop fan, being mobile (if that remains a key requirement like earlier), and activity of a desk?

Insisting on sound quality as known at this forum (like with ESL panels and trick technologies), for a desktop system is a stretch and sort of a waste of effort. Since it is plenty easy to make real good little speakers (like LS3/5A template), why not settle for that instead of some indefinite other thing with ribbons?

B.