Odd Vintage Flat Panel Speaker from Fisher

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was looking around in an antique store last weekend and saw some odd looking flat panel speakers labeled:
"The Fisher"
Sound Panel
Model PL-6-T

The back looked like this photo I found somewhere:
fisher-sound-panel-pl-d-vintage_1_b93597e9b4ad2d9956a1affa67691d0a.jpg

A Google search turned up very little, except for a very informative article from antiqueradio.com. It said "The FSP speaker was actually made in Argentina for Fisher by Bertagni Electroacoustic Systems (BES)."

Does anyone have any experience with these thing? If they work, could they be used as rear speakers for a 5.1 system? If they don't, could the transducers be replaced by something new from Parts Express?

My wife and I are turning our den into a "Mid-century Modern" media room. To that end I have been looking for vintage speaker cabinets that I can re-purpose with modern drivers and crossovers for the front and center speakers. (I found the shell of a 1950's record player console that will be the subwoofer cabinet.)

Bertagni (BES) speakers are basically DML/BMR panels.....Dr.Jose Bertagni has utilize this technology way before NXT.

They could be used as rear speakers....If the exciters/transducers work fine do not change them if it aint broke....if they don't work you could use the exciters found at P.E.....you would have to be very careful when disconnecting the old exciter/transducer from the foam panel....use some type of Exacto knife or scalpel.

Last edited:
could the transducers be replaced by something new from Parts Express?
No because there are no "transducers" in the conventional sense which you can buy anywhere.
The speaker is a conventional one, with a voice coil and a magnet, with the cone being a flat panel of styrofoam, covering the full cabinet front from edge to edge, side to side and top to bottom.
You can´t "replace" it although I guess if the voice coil is blown an experienced reconer *might* be able to replace it.
Sound is quite acceptable as a background music player and probably for your intended use, think ceiling embedded speaker quality.
Don´t expect real bass from a "no cabinet" 14" x 20" sheet of Styrofoam or whatever it measures.
Very cool and unobtrusive in a Dentist´s office waiting room or similar setting.

No because there are no "transducers" in the conventional sense which you can buy anywhere.
The speaker is a conventional one, with a voice coil and a magnet, with the cone being a flat panel of styrofoam, covering the full cabinet front from edge to edge, side to side and top to bottom.
You can´t "replace" it although I guess if the voice coil is blown an experienced reconer *might* be able to replace it.
Sound is quite acceptable as a background music player and probably for your intended use, think ceiling embedded speaker quality.
Don´t expect real bass from a "no cabinet" 14" x 20" sheet of Styrofoam or whatever it measures.
Very cool and unobtrusive in a Dentist´s office waiting room or similar setting.

Those "transducers" are basically exciters, so technically yes he can replace them with a exciter from P.E.

If you don't know it I will say it again Bertagni speakers are DML/BMR bending wave speakers which utilize "exciter" transducers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.