ML aeon-i burnt a hole DIY?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hey guys i have a older pair of ML aeon-i

one speaker recently arc’d and burnt a hole about 2mm wide

what’s my
options for repair ? i’m good with diy and a soldering iron and all

did i over power them ? my setup is a carver 500x , or are they just old and worn?

i run them pretty loud with a variety of music

for a temp fix can i just maybe clear rev the damaged area?

thanks guys

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Can you show a pic?
I suspect a 'piece of dirt' caused a bridge and burned that spot. Unless you have continuing arcing or the diaphragm is wrinkled, the panel should be OK to use after it's been vacuumed thoroughly (use a soft brush and magnifying glass).
I watched an insect visibly fry (making tiny arcing) on my Gen2 panels (like yours), but there was no damage fortunately -- this time....

52BFE6C6-2497-4E25-9789-AD5133E1AD0B_zpseuzbshnq.jpeg
[/URL]

Joined 2004
Paid Member
from the owner's manual:
"If the diaphragm is punctured with a pencil or similar item, how extensive would the damage to the speaker be?
Our research department has literally punctured hundreds of holes in a diaphragm, neither affecting the quality of the sound nor causing the diaphragm to rip. However, you will be able to see the actual puncture and it can be a physical nuisance. If this is the case, replacing the electrostatic transducer will be the only solution."

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.