Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Quad ESL57
Quad ESL57
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th October 2018, 12:15 AM   #11
Galu is offline Galu  Scotland
diyAudio Member

P.S. Have found this site - a mine of information on the Quad ESL, including repairs!

The Quad ESL - Home
Old 14th October 2018, 12:18 AM   #12
Galu is offline Galu  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVWERK View Post
Stokes is in the USA
Ooops! I confused New Hampshire with Hampshire!
Old 14th October 2018, 02:27 PM   #13
luxwinter is offline luxwinter
diyAudio Member

Wayne Picquet of Quads Unlimited does good work as well.
Old 14th October 2018, 05:04 PM   #14
stokessd is offline stokessd  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galu View Post
I understand your sentimental attachment and it's a good reason for not letting the ESLs languish in your loft.

I don't know where you are located. If you are in the UK you could speak to Sheldon Stokes, who comes highly recommended in the field of Quad ELS repair.

SDS Audio Labs - Home of Quad Loudspeaker Rebuilds for Over 20 Years
Thanks for the reference! I am in the States, but I get over to the British Isles as much as I can.

You have a damaged treble panel, the treble panels on these older quads are quite fragile and once the damage has been done it leaves conductive trails so more damage in the same area is easier.

I do have a lot of info on my site about these speakers, and because fixing the quads is just a hobby/sideline for me, I am pretty free to share my expertise and help others who need some advise.

Drop me a line or ask questions here and I'll try to answer them as best as I can. I'm not on here every day, so sometimes if life gets in the way, I can be a little slow replying.

WRT the "domestic harmony issues", I don't have a solution to that. I don't find the original ESL's to be particularly attractive or to have a place in a modern home living space. They really look like a science fair project in terms of build quality and finish. In that regard the newer models are much better.

Sheldon
quadesl.com
Old 16th October 2018, 11:52 PM   #15
owenhamburg is offline owenhamburg  Germany
diyAudio Member

If you know what you are doing or are prepared to learn a lot, you can definitely service every part of your HiFi. But, if you are based in the UK go to quad near Cambridge and get them serviced you may be amazed how cheap they will service this old kit.
Old 17th October 2018, 08:07 PM   #16
lcsaszar is offline lcsaszar  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsQuad View Post
...sadly, my wife is not entirely happy about having such huge speakers in the living room - but I will work on that.
I have been owning (?) ESLs for 30 years now. My wife had enough time to get used to them. Now I hear less and less sentences such as "what are those ugly electric radiators?" and "my tiny computer speakers do it equally well" and "we don't have room for those" and "they do our nice living room ungraced". Mostly "push'em to the wall so that we can move around". My answer used to be: "they are here just for testing", "I keep them until I find something better for cheap" and so on. Now they belong to the scene of the room.
Old 18th October 2018, 12:45 PM   #17
luxwinter is offline luxwinter
diyAudio Member

My wife is an opera singer. She prefers the Quads to any other speaker she's heard due to the vocal reproduction.
Old 19th October 2018, 07:11 AM   #18
Nemeske is offline Nemeske  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcsaszar View Post
I have been owning (?) ESLs for 30 years now. My wife had enough time to get used to them. Now I hear less and less sentences such as "what are those ugly electric radiators?" and "my tiny computer speakers do it equally well" and "we don't have room for those" and "they do our nice living room ungraced". Mostly "push'em to the wall so that we can move around". My answer used to be: "they are here just for testing", "I keep them until I find something better for cheap" and so on. Now they belong to the scene of the room.

Probably, the best workaround is “they are here just for testing”, haha

Quad ESL57Hide this!Advertise here!