Magnepan MGII-B Rewire

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello there, I recently bought a pair of maggies but the mid-bass panel of one of them stopped working, and I think the aluminium wire might be broken.

I'm trying to gather info on what type of wire is used in this model, I think it's 22 AWG but I have no idea of the length I have to order because I didn't take the time to remove the socks yet. Does anybody know the exact wire specs I should look for ? I found 10 meters reels but I think it will be way to short...

Last edited:
I think its 28 or 32 gage...but call Magnepan for a role, an size ..its not 18 ga for sure. the role of wire only- not the Kit, was just $7.50 for the two speaker...people use magnet wire but copper wire works but has less output...an dose not sound as good....I have tried it..time wasted...good luck

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
The bass wire on mine seems to be 18 gauge. But it's aluminum as far as I know, not copper. Pretty sure 10 meters will be too short, but I can check. You're going to have to pull the socks anyway, so you can check for yourself.

The panels are stored 150km from where I live, so I'd like to find the right specs and order the aluminium wire before actually beginning the repair process.

I assumed the config was the same than MGIIIs (22 and 31 AWG, as stated here : Magnepan Rebuild ) but I think I'll contact Magnepan directly and ask them for the specs. Does anybody knows their email contact btw ? I don't feel comfortable enough with my english to give them a call :D

That's very kind of you. Yeah, the tweeters worked fine last time I plugged them. If you could also ask them how much shipping to France would cost It would be awesome ! I'm still hesitating between the official Magnepan repair kit or ordering a reel on an european website...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.