passive vs. active equalizing

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, just yesterday my MiniDSP 2x4HD's usb connection died. I used it to equalize my DIY electrostatic loudspeakers. I used a very simple electrical segmentation of its wire stators: a 3 cm wide mid segment that runs the full frequency band, and a second segment that is connected through a resistor that acts as a lowpass filter. It is similar to the configurations of the older? Audiostatic esl's. As the frequency response was still not perfectly straight (still a suble dip between 100 and 1000 Hz) and a subtle rising output with rising frequency and a big resonance peak) I found the MiniDSP a very nice addition to filter the resonance peak and attenuate the HF a bit more.

After my DSP died (at least it's usb connection) and because I tend to use my turntable most of the time nowadays (analog input), I'm wondering if it would be better to stop using my dsp alltogether and fine tune / modify my esl segmentation? I could open my panels (I made everything detachable) and "re-group" the wire stators? (create more segments for better equalising the HF rise of my stat panels) By the way, the diaphragm measures 18cm width x 100 cm height, and I use supple copper wires. I'm not sure if the 18 cm width will be enough to add extra segments?

What are your opinions about active DSP-ing vs. passive equalizing using segmented stators? (or using both methods as I currently do) Would it be better do do most of the frequency correction in the stators themselves rather than relying, at least for a part, at a DSP device?

Last edited:
Hi,

the Mini-DSP though beeing a powerful tool for evaluation is imho a clear sonic bottleneck.
At that low pricepoint You can´t expect a first class A/D-D/A conversion ... which is imho the reason for most DSP filter´s sonic performance - the filtering itself (calculation of algorithms) seems acoustically transparent.
Even a top notch DSP Filter like the one from 4Audio sounded more technical and less musical than my feedbackless JFET-xover (in a acoustically decent room that is).
Not until switching to acourate software filtering and implementing first class DACs the DSP-filter became the sonically superior solution (fed of course from digital sources, otherwise the ADC could spoil the result again).

jauu
Calvin

Hi Calvin, today I compared the MiniDSP 2x4 HD to the CD player. I programmed the DSP to correct dips in frequency response. Even though the dsp solutions measures better frequency response it sounds clearly inferior to the CD player without equalizing. I didn't expect that.

Right now I'm wondering how a second hand affordably priced DSP solution like the Lyngdorf + RoomPerfect would compare to the MiniDSP?

My receiver has digital and analogue and when switching back and fourth my ears prefer the analogue...On the analogue it just sounds more musical while on the digital it sounds a tad bit cleaner but dead/lifeless....IMO its all personal preference....Go with what your ears like the most.

My receiver has digital and analogue and when switching back and fourth my ears prefer the analogue...On the analogue it just sounds more musical while on the digital it sounds a tad bit cleaner but dead/lifeless....IMO its all personal preference....Go with what your ears like the most.

Naturally we all assume you tested to see that the feed from both systems were identical? No one would be so foolish as to conduct an A/B hearing test without that basic validity check first.

B.

I just watched this video on youtube. YouTube

From the audience reaction 2 people fist bumps for passive....Third person said the only thing he liked better from the active was tighter low end but something about the highs sound better on the passive (if I am not mistaken as I couldn't clearly make out exactly what he said at the end).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.