Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

passive vs. active equalizing
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th September 2018, 06:58 PM   #1
silvershadelynx is offline silvershadelynx  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default passive vs. active equalizing

Hi, just yesterday my MiniDSP 2x4HD's usb connection died. I used it to equalize my DIY electrostatic loudspeakers. I used a very simple electrical segmentation of its wire stators: a 3 cm wide mid segment that runs the full frequency band, and a second segment that is connected through a resistor that acts as a lowpass filter. It is similar to the configurations of the older? Audiostatic esl's. As the frequency response was still not perfectly straight (still a suble dip between 100 and 1000 Hz) and a subtle rising output with rising frequency and a big resonance peak) I found the MiniDSP a very nice addition to filter the resonance peak and attenuate the HF a bit more.

After my DSP died (at least it's usb connection) and because I tend to use my turntable most of the time nowadays (analog input), I'm wondering if it would be better to stop using my dsp alltogether and fine tune / modify my esl segmentation? I could open my panels (I made everything detachable) and "re-group" the wire stators? (create more segments for better equalising the HF rise of my stat panels) By the way, the diaphragm measures 18cm width x 100 cm height, and I use supple copper wires. I'm not sure if the 18 cm width will be enough to add extra segments?

What are your opinions about active DSP-ing vs. passive equalizing using segmented stators? (or using both methods as I currently do) Would it be better do do most of the frequency correction in the stators themselves rather than relying, at least for a part, at a DSP device?

Last edited by silvershadelynx; 12th September 2018 at 07:01 PM.
Old 14th September 2018, 06:07 AM   #2
Calvin is offline Calvin  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hi,

the Mini-DSP though beeing a powerful tool for evaluation is imho a clear sonic bottleneck.
At that low pricepoint You canīt expect a first class A/D-D/A conversion ... which is imho the reason for most DSP filterīs sonic performance - the filtering itself (calculation of algorithms) seems acoustically transparent.
Even a top notch DSP Filter like the one from 4Audio sounded more technical and less musical than my feedbackless JFET-xover (in a acoustically decent room that is).
Not until switching to acourate software filtering and implementing first class DACs the DSP-filter became the sonically superior solution (fed of course from digital sources, otherwise the ADC could spoil the result again).

jauu
Calvin
Old 14th September 2018, 12:23 PM   #3
TBTL is offline TBTL  Germany
diyAudio Member

DSP is way more powerful than passive solutions. Rough passive (or active analog) EQ can still be a good idea to avoid running into limitations of the dynamic range of a DSP.
Old 26th October 2018, 01:47 PM   #4
silvershadelynx is offline silvershadelynx  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Hi Calvin, today I compared the MiniDSP 2x4 HD to the CD player. I programmed the DSP to correct dips in frequency response. Even though the dsp solutions measures better frequency response it sounds clearly inferior to the CD player without equalizing. I didn't expect that.

Right now I'm wondering how a second hand affordably priced DSP solution like the Lyngdorf + RoomPerfect would compare to the MiniDSP?
Old 26th October 2018, 09:59 PM   #5
bentoronto is offline bentoronto  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvershadelynx View Post
Hi Calvin, today I compared the MiniDSP 2x4 HD to the CD player...
Not really sure what you did. But the real test is to compare a component to a piece of copper wire. In other words, can you hear any difference with the DSP set flat? Naturally, the test should be blind, duh.

B.
Old 3rd November 2018, 06:49 PM   #6
plasnu is offline plasnu  United States
diyAudio Member

I agree with Calvin. If the source is analog, and whole analog signal chain is top notch, adding extra ADA conversion would harm your feeling and probably harm the sound. Digital processing itself can be ultra transparent, though...
Old 8th November 2018, 10:26 PM   #7
DMLBES is offline DMLBES
diyAudio Member

My receiver has digital and analogue and when switching back and fourth my ears prefer the analogue...On the analogue it just sounds more musical while on the digital it sounds a tad bit cleaner but dead/lifeless....IMO its all personal preference....Go with what your ears like the most.
Old 8th November 2018, 11:06 PM   #8
Charles Darwin is offline Charles Darwin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Considered active analogue eq?
Old 8th November 2018, 11:12 PM   #9
bentoronto is offline bentoronto  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMLBES View Post
My receiver has digital and analogue and when switching back and fourth my ears prefer the analogue...On the analogue it just sounds more musical while on the digital it sounds a tad bit cleaner but dead/lifeless....IMO its all personal preference....Go with what your ears like the most.
Naturally we all assume you tested to see that the feed from both systems were identical? No one would be so foolish as to conduct an A/B hearing test without that basic validity check first.

B.
Old 8th November 2018, 11:14 PM   #10
DMLBES is offline DMLBES
diyAudio Member

I just watched this video on youtube. YouTube

From the audience reaction 2 people fist bumps for passive....Third person said the only thing he liked better from the active was tighter low end but something about the highs sound better on the passive (if I am not mistaken as I couldn't clearly make out exactly what he said at the end).

passive vs. active equalizingHide this!Advertise here!