Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Apogee Centaur Minor Hand Downs
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd September 2018, 09:40 PM   #1
SADBOYS is offline SADBOYS
diyAudio Member

Default Apogee Centaur Minor Hand Downs

Hi there,

I have been a stalker of this forum for quite some time and have read back through the dated posts.

I recently have been gifted with a pair of Apogee Centaur minors from my Dad, who now owns the Majors. The Minors have been in storage for a very long time as I recently only just moved out of living with my parents.

However, I found out recently the reason my Dad upgrading to the Majors, apart from the insane sound is the fact the left speaker the woofer cone seal has become detached. Causing a *thumby* vibrating noise when ever any volume or bass is pumped into the speakers.

Reading over the old posts I found the best way to remove the grills, which I have done with great success. Currently looking to replace the woofer and thats why I have finally joined this forum to ask, as obviously most of the helpful replies were dated back to 2008 and I do not know whats the best available replacement for the stock woofers.

Another issue I have found which has been due to storage/transportation I cant quite pin point when it happened. The ribbon on the right has half ripped across and I know its probably sacrilege to say I wont be replacing it and that my speakers are probably useless as I might as well use the standard TV sound or music player, I do not know, but as of current I do not have the funds to replace these as of yet but I will do when funds are available. I know to go for the Graz replacements in Aus, but if theres anything I can do as of the moment please let me know.

But yeah basically what replacement woofers shall I get for my Minors.

Cheers

SADBOYS
Old 4th September 2018, 10:12 AM   #2
DAMIC is offline DAMIC  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Audax AP170Z0 6-1/2" Shielded Aerogel Midbass

Great drop in replacement, if you still can found.
Old 4th September 2018, 10:26 AM   #3
billshurv is offline billshurv  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I just used a bit of glue on my woofer and it's held for another 8 years. I do have some other woofers to go in, but changed direction completely. Fixing the ribbon is hard, but the graz ribbon is worth getting. Took me a while!
Old 5th September 2018, 07:52 PM   #4
soorb77 is offline soorb77  Sweden
diyAudio Member

YouTube
Old 16th September 2018, 02:41 PM   #5
devize is offline devize  Germany
diyAudio Member

I have replaced my ribbons and I really recommend doing so. The sound of Graz ribbons is much better than the original.

Apogee Centaur Minor Hand DownsHide this!Advertise here!