Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Integrating Electrostatic Speakers into existing standard speaker home theater
Integrating Electrostatic Speakers into existing standard speaker home theater
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th August 2018, 04:18 PM   #11
JonFo is offline JonFo  United States
diyAudio Member

Ben, I arrived at these conclusions after a huge amount of testing (documented in this massive thread) and a bunch of studying, including pouring over the Toole book on acoustics.

Most folks who just give absorption a quick try are jarred by the substantial change in sound from 'before'. One of the aspects of large planar dipoles is how they they engage the room, and if you find a good balance of speaker to room to listener ratios, it even has the effect of giving a large, soundstage, as you are listening to sound coming from multiple sources with varying delays.

But for me, I've found I like my ESL to more focused on being a sound reproducer than a sound 'generator'. That is, I mainly want to hear the front wave-launch and minimize the reflected contributions. For immersive (or positional) audio, this is a requirement, as the mix is managing the location of sounds, and should not be colored by ones speakers.

My system is heavily weighted to accurate audio, for both music and movies, but it has to get music right. I am into Progressive Rock, and Steven Wilson is my hero, so all his masterpieces in high-resolution 5.1 shine on my rig. And as a consequence, movies are pretty impressive as well, but that's secondary.

For both movies and multichannel music (and especially Atmos), having a real (and capable) center is key to preserving the soundstage when listening outside the MLP. But even for the MLP, having the energy from the center makes the front soundstage more complete.
Old 30th August 2018, 12:19 AM   #12
Audio Adrenaline is offline Audio Adrenaline  Australia
diyAudio Member

Each of you may have your own opinion but I have found using Jriver media centre was one of the most cost effective upgrades I did to my system. It made a huge difference both with the sound and visuals and its only around the $50 its a bit fiddly but its worth looking at if you have not tried it-totally upgraded the sound of my system far better than a DVD player that I could have afforded did

Integrating Electrostatic Speakers into existing standard speaker home theaterHide this!Advertise here!