Magnepan MG IIc rebuild (rewire)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All,

I picked up a pair of Maggies over the weekend for $100 and am preparing myself to endeavor re-wiring these things. I can get the full re-wire kits from Magnepan for about $120 (does both lf and hf, both speakers). At first I was hesitant, but after reading about the work required, getting them for the right price, and a call to Magnepan (who were very helpful!) I decided to give it a shot.

So far only the treble sections have open circuits, but the LF section in the right speaker has a spot that is becoming undone (it was taped over).

Interestingly enough I plugged them into my system and they sound surprisingly good! However, I am sure that they will sound even better once they are completely rebuilt. I'm also planning on doing some aesthetic improvement as well.

They came with no covers, but as I look at them now, I'm not sure I want covers. They are flat black right now, and I'm not sure of what the challenge would be to paint them without actually making anything worse. IUf anybody has any ideas about painting the aluminum on the front side, I am all ears. In the mean-time I'll at least give Magnepan another call and see what they say.

I kind of like how they look without the covers, and wonder if along with some faint back lighting if they wouldn't look even better!

Oh well, first things first: ordering the wire kits today so I can get started, and talk to Magnepan to see what they say about painting them on the front side. :)

If anyone has any experience with this type of job, I am certainly open for any suggestions, or any thing I should be aware of and to look out for during this process.

Attachments

• MGIIc_front.jpg
    MGIIc_front.jpg
    270.3 KB · Views: 388
  • MGIIc_left_hf.jpg
    MGIIc_left_hf.jpg
    443.8 KB · Views: 466
  • MGIIc_right_hf.jpg
    MGIIc_right_hf.jpg
    388 KB · Views: 403
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Cool! I have a pair of MG IIb that need the tweeter wires replaced. And one woofer has a tiny break that I hope to repair, and not have to rewire the whole section. The tweeters don't look like a bad job to rewire, but the woofers? Yikes! Any plans on your part?

Very interested to see what you get in your kit and how your repair goes. Good luck and we will want to see more photos, of course. :)

Cool! I have a pair of MG IIb that need the tweeter wires replaced. And one woofer has a tiny break that I hope to repair, and not have to rewire the whole section. The tweeters don't look like a bad job to rewire, but the woofers? Yikes! Any plans on your part?

After talking to Magnepan I decided to rewire the whole thing. MG IIc's are only two way anyway, so I'll be doing the lower and upper frequency sections.

I did read somewhere that the woofer section is easier (perhaps because the wire is much finer for the tweeter section?) But who knows? I guess I'm going to find out! :)

The re-wire kits come complete with enough wire to do the pair, solder (for aluminum), sealant, screws, connectors, adhesive, and instructions on how to do it. The instructions are not that detailed, but there is plenty of info around from others doing the same thing. My uderstanding is that patience and care in getting the old wire off without damaging the mylar is the biggest concern.

That being said, I wonder whether making a jig would be worthwile. I suspect that precise positioning is crucial for performance when taking the wire down.

Other questions that come to mind:
  • How much is too much with regard to adhesive?
  • Is it ok to paint the front surface of the aluminum panel?

Hi....had Manepans from the 1980....Now I find them at low cash....fall over...lose wires...top an bottem
I have re-wirded the Bass on two pr.3a,2c..By hand....done tweeter on 5 pr.....If the Bass works ...all I can say....I never got the bass to sound as good..
never made a Jig.....
tweeters go for it...ezey
But like say, if the bass wire is cut an thay don't play …one-tow spots i fix.. or i pass
but i did it...you can fix the tweeter...new wire..

Also you can just buy the wire....was $750 ea....for wire that's for the pr...one tweeter an one bass rolls...Same for the QR foil i did a pr tweeter...$750 roll for two tweeters...but the wire has better output....glue like 3m77...like $8- you have some left over....

Get the new none solder wire hokup from magnepan ….
But you got the info...make a jig
All just one mans finding..40 year in this hobby......good luck....
i have a pr of MG2c...MG1c..MG 2.5R..sound great...gave $20pr....

Magnepan repair

I've done the re-wire for my MGIIa. It is a bit challenging at first, but becomes easy as you go. If you have any mechanical ability at all, you'll not have any problem. The kit comes with all you'll need, including glue.
The old fabric covers are trash. If they're on now, they will be destroyed when you remove them. I like the look with the black covers on, although they're dust magnets (he he) I think Magneplanar has replacements.
So take your time, be careful, be prepared for a messy, but relatively easy job.
Have fun! Nothing like bringing a vintage audio piece back to life!

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
That's good news!

I also did my MG-11B pair. It wasn't difficult. The cloth on mine was dirty so I washed in in cold water and Woolite. They came clean, but shrank. :( The still fit across the width, but are now 2.5" too short. No amount of stretching would get them back to long enough.

Also, I had to buy aluminum solder. The solder that came in the kit did not work at all for me. But they are playing now and sounding great.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.