Audiostatics ES 100

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi to the forum!

I recently bought a pair of Audiostatics ES 100 used. They play, but they have issues..

Because they were very cheap, I thought it might worth the try to bring them to life.

I had already heard a pair of Audio Exclusiv P3 once in a high end show, and I was amazed of the sound, and since then I was looking for some ESL to buy.

So I need your help or advice.. The thing is that, first of all, they need a lot of power to produce sound, I don't know if this is normal in ESL since this is my first, and second, there is a serious lack of high frequencies.. In fact they sound dull, with a very midrange sound.. not even close enough to high end speakers.. I know that the membrane ages and they lose performance over time, so I think that might be the issue... I have visually inspected the high voltage ladder and the transformers and all look ok.
My first thought was to replace the membranes, but searching in the forum found that this is not the easiest thing to do, but I also found that the conductive coating can also go off over time, So maybe just cleaning the membranes and applying a new coating might improve them some how? would that be easier? since there will be no need for applying tension to the membranes precisely.. But do the membranes also loose tension over time? would be possible the lack of high frequencies is caused by the deteriorated coating? Also I live in Germany, does someone know how much would be a set of new membranes cost?

Thank you all in advance!

Hi,

both the Audiostatic and the AudioExclusiv are quite inefficient concepts.
This is typical for fullrange ESLs and nothong to be concerned about.
So have considerable amounts power at hand, i.e stable amplifiers.
However, lack of HF is not a sign of a functional panel.
It sounds like either the coating has given in, or contacts are corroded.
So opening the panel and checking would be the first step.
Repairing contacts and/or recoating is not difficult at all .... just a matter of using the right materials.
Tensioning the membrane precisely will make the difference between a good panel and a so so result.
Heat tensioning is the way to go with your panels.

jauu
Calvin

ps. besides which part of Germany you live in?

First of all thanks to all replies to you guys!

I live in Cologne, forgot to mention that.

The two transformers are feeding the static wires as I can see, and these connections look ok, not corroded, and the high voltage from the resistor/capacitor ladder is fed through the red wire to the membrane, but I cant see that connection, I think I have to disassemble it to see the condition of the contact, but it doesn't seem they have a weak charge, in fact, they keep playing for some time after unplugged from the power.. however I am convinced that reapplying the coating might help.. and if not, then I will rethink of giving them to be professionally repaired.

So, could you please help/provide advice on how may I proceed on re-coating the membranes? proper material, assembly, disassembly tips, whatever might help!

Thanks in advice!

P.S. I don't know if the audiostatic is still in business.. Just bought them second hand, from a guy that went to upgrade, and sold them cheap, who also had bought them second hand some years ago... so I think they had their time, and its now time to do some refurbishment..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.