Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Development and Deciphering Strange experience of Location of Sound in Room
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th July 2018, 11:28 AM   #1
umutmt is offline umutmt  Turkey
diyAudio Member

Question Development and Deciphering Strange experience of Location of Sound in Room

Hello there,

I was listening Tommy from Who and there was a stone rubbing sound in music plays in a rhytm.

I experienced my little computer monitors plays cheap sound in front of me but that rubbing sound was coming from just my right side. There was a niche in the wall and I think sound was coming from there.

I thought if I can make niches , boxes in my walls and listening each of my acoustic guitars notes from strange locations , it would be excellent.

Can you explain and tell me how can it be done ?

Thanks,

Mustafa Umut Sarac
Istanbul
Old 29th July 2018, 01:55 PM   #2
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Well that's an odd and unusual request! It does sound like a fun experiment (tho maybe it belongs in another part of the forum).

Have you done any further tests? For example, does that niche in your wall pick up any other sounds? If you move your laptop or yourself, does the effect go away? What if you put a cloth in the niche?

I've heard some strange sound location effects, but mostly they had to do with speaker phase. If you can create a similar effect with holes in the walls, that would be something fun and interesting.
Old 29th July 2018, 02:50 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

My room is extremelly crowded and I did not try anything before. I said niche but the real thing its a empty place in between furniture , wall and window.

I think speaker phase is interesting subject. Can we control phase of the guitar or speaker with diffractive element to get sound location effects ? I think I read something like it.

And can we create speaker phase in the desired locations of the room with changing the room ?

Is there any article for them ?
Old 29th July 2018, 03:42 PM   #4
rayma is offline rayma  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umutmt View Post
My room is extremelly crowded and I did not try anything before. I said niche
but the real thing its a empty place in between furniture , wall and window.
First rule out a room effect. Drape a large cloth or rug over the area where the sound
seems to be coming from. If you still hear it, then it's probably not room acoustics.

Then try reversing the channels, and see if the same effect happens on the other side.
Old 29th July 2018, 04:05 PM   #5
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I think speaker phase is interesting subject. Can we control phase of the guitar or speaker with diffractive element to get sound location effects ? I think I read something like it.
And can we create speaker phase in the desired locations of the room with changing the room ?
I'm not quite following, do you want to use reflections to shift the image location? Phase (time delay) is used to change image position in the stereo mix
Old 29th July 2018, 07:03 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I am not expert. Reflections can meet at some locations to construct new sound sources.
I think similar is done with ultrasound experiments. You can hear the music in desired location but no one can not hear it except dancing couple.

I changed the speaker locations and angles and now I cant make experiment.

May be time delay can be used in room with the help of surfaces or boxes.

I am not expert again.

I want two things , stereo plays but soprano and bass plays from top of the room , orchestra bottom , mezzo far right , violins left ... etc. But there will be only small stereo speakers.

second thing , classical guitar plays , first fret comes from top , second fret comes from the bottom etc

what can be done ?

Last edited by umutmt; 29th July 2018 at 07:11 PM.
Old 29th July 2018, 07:12 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Reflections meet and interfere, constructively or destructively depending on the frequency and phase so you get what's called comb filtering. A single reflection, say, from a side wall will cause the image to be wider
Old 29th July 2018, 07:20 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I want two things , stereo plays but soprano and bass plays from top of the room , orchestra bottom , mezzo far right , violins left ... etc. But there will be only small stereo speakers.
second thing , classical guitar plays , first fret comes from top , second fret comes from the bottom etc
what can be done ?
That's done in the mix, you have no control (unless you get hold of the master tapes and DIY!)
Old 29th July 2018, 07:26 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I have no control on record but I have control on room and speakers and I experienced its possible. Which forum or email list do you advise ? stereophile ? let me try.
Old 29th July 2018, 07:29 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

But you can't move individual instruments around

Development and Deciphering Strange experience of Location of Sound in RoomHide this!Advertise here!