Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Quad 57 questions
Quad 57 questions
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th June 2018, 05:32 PM   #11
malthuse is offline malthuse  Canada
diyAudio Member

Ok...I replaced the diode board with ones from my upgraded pair. Instant and clear difference. Trebles are clear and unmuffled, volume is decent. This is more like it.
Old 8th June 2018, 07:07 PM   #12
lcsaszar is offline lcsaszar  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Probably well known but these devices need some time (several hours to one day) to reach full sensitivity.
Old 8th June 2018, 07:24 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

I left them overnight initially and they still sounded quiet. New diodes and they’re instantly way louder. Now the problem is I’m getting quiet ticking and staticky sounds in one treble panel. I suspect it’s the dust I saw on the panels that I tried to vacuum out. It doesn’t seem to affect the sound which is beautiful.
Old 8th June 2018, 11:43 PM   #14
stokessd is offline stokessd  United States
diyAudio Member

Interestingly the quad ESL manual says they charge up about as fast as the Quad II amp warms up or a few minutes longer. But the conductive coating on these speakers wasn't very good and evaporates over time. I've seen quads that keep charging for more than a couple days. I take measurements every few hours and I can watch the SPL increase and increase and increase.

I generally advise people to leave them plugged in for a day, that's a good amount of time that if the speakers are in reasonable shape, they will sound great after that time. If after a day, they are still not up to charge, their time has come.

Sheldon
quadesl.com
Old 9th June 2018, 12:00 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Hi Sheldon
What about the fizzing and popping. It’s gotten worse as the day went by. Now they buzz occasionally while playing and not that loud either.
Old 9th June 2018, 03:04 AM   #16
luxwinter is offline luxwinter
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by malthuse View Post
Hi Sheldon
What about the fizzing and popping. Itís gotten worse as the day went by. Now they buzz occasionally while playing and not that loud either.
How humid is it in the room? These sort of issues sometimes go away when it's less humid, but you're probably looking at a panel rebuild in the end.
Old 9th June 2018, 03:20 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

It’s raining heavily right now. I unplugged them for a couple of hours and plugged them back in and it’s gone away. They sound sublime right now. Extraordinary transparency.
Old 9th June 2018, 01:48 PM   #18
luxwinter is offline luxwinter
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by malthuse View Post
Itís raining heavily right now. I unplugged them for a couple of hours and plugged them back in and itís gone away. They sound sublime right now. Extraordinary transparency.
Nice! My Quads developed ticking noises in multiple panels the first summer after I moved from the West coast to the East coast. Air conditioning helps, but the panels were basically on their way out at that point. At this moment, I have to replace a noisy bass panel in one of my Quads before I can put them back in use. Not a big job if you have the replacement panel....
Old 9th June 2018, 02:38 PM   #19
stokessd is offline stokessd  United States
diyAudio Member

Ticks and hisses are often debris that has found it's way into the panel. Are you dust covers intact? If there are tears, tape them shut.

It's a bit of a hail mary, but you can unplug the speakers and let them discharge for a day or so and then shake and tap on the speaker in an effort to shake all the debris to the bottom of the panels. Then plug them back in. You have no hope of moving the debris if the panels are at all charged up.

If you are more adventurous, you can open up the bass panel dust covers and vacuum them out.

hope that helps,
Sheldon
quadesl.com
Old 9th June 2018, 04:54 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

i left them charged overnight and there is a mild buzzing. Is it bad to leave it like that? Will it do damage to the membrane?

Quad 57 questionsHide this!Advertise here!