Tube amp for Acoustat 2+2's

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have been using a Threshold S300 series two, Acoustat TNT 200 and 2 TNT 120 amplifiers modified by Roy E. who used to work for Acoustat on my various Acoustat speakers. Model 3's, 2 pair of 2+2's and a pair of Spectra 66's. Although I have been very pleased with the sound I am getting with the various combinations of amp and speaker I have been thinking about trying a tube amp and have been reading up on the Moscode 600. I am looking at an ad which lists one with modifications done by Steve Sank of Talking Dog Transducer Co. I wanted some opinions on this amp and if any of you use this amp how it sounds with the Acoustats? Do u think it would be a good match? Most likely I would be using it on one of the 2+2 pair.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I have been using a Threshold S300 series two, Acoustat TNT 200 and 2 TNT 120 amplifiers modified by Roy E. who used to work for Acoustat on my various Acoustat speakers. Model 3's, 2 pair of 2+2's and a pair of Spectra 66's. Although I have been very pleased with the sound I am getting with the various combinations of amp and speaker I have been thinking about trying a tube amp and have been reading up on the Moscode 600. I am looking at an ad which lists one with modifications done by Steve Sank of Talking Dog Transducer Co. I wanted some opinions on this amp and if any of you use this amp how it sounds with the Acoustats? Do u think it would be a good match? Most likely I would be using it on one of the 2+2 pair.
Nothing compares to what a directly driven ESL is capable of. Have you considered Acoustat's own DD servo charge OTL monos?

I picked up a Jolida 1000 remote control amp of the bay for $1100. By wierd coincidence , the guy lived 30 minutes away, I bought my Acoustat 2+2’s from him four years before and, when I auditioned the speakers , they were driven
by THAT amp! I see good prices on them, recently saw a new one with 6550 tubes ( that’ll give 110wpc) for around $1400.
Beautiful amp, clear glass front, mirror in back to make it look like their are
lots of tubes and remote ( solid aluminum ).
Great sound, biggest difference is in voices .
It has 100w and drives my 2+2’s.
I also have a NAD 208 ss amp that can be used just by pushing a switch in my
Niles switchbox.
But I only use that amp when I don’t want to wait for Jolida to warm up, or have only less than 30 minutes to listen to music.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.