Are there any good DIY Planar Kits

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Or designs that are DIY friendly? I just built some nifty bookshelf speakers but I am interested in some planer or ESL as a future project.

I'm not aware of any magnetic planar speaker kits but there are ESL kits available.

ER Audio in Australia sells highly regarded premium ESL kits.

Just Real Audio (I believe in Michigan) sells components, kits and complete ESL's at bargain prices. The owner, Russ Knotts, is an honest guy providing reliable gear but his is a small family business, often backed up with more work than he can do in a short time, so you may want to inquire about lead times before placing an order.

I'm not aware of any magnetic planar speaker kits but there are ESL kits available.

ER Audio in Australia sells highly regarded premium ESL kits.

Just Real Audio (I believe in Michigan) sells components, kits and complete ESL's at bargain prices. The owner, Russ Knotts, is an honest guy providing reliable gear but his is a small family business, often backed up with more work than he can do in a short time, so you may want to inquire about lead times before placing an order.

Thank you very much CharlieM.

you can take a peek at my youtube channel for some planar designs. its what i mostly did lately. there is a complete start to finish of one panel as well.

YouTube

A complete kit i did not find either as of yet. might be a cool idea if i got a panel that is easy to make and works flawless

Sweet and thank you very much. I certainly will.

How do they sound??

This is another non-kit answer to your kit question (sorry about that) but I thought it might demonstrate that even a from-scratch project need not be overly daunting or complicated.

I just installed, ten minutes ago in fact, these DIY planar magnetic desktop speakers. I wanted to see how much I could simplify the construction I used in my previous DIY planar magnetic project. The result was quite a simplification! Of course, these speakers are about 2 feet tall instead of 7 feet, made to show their guts, and use a single element for all frequencies above about 200 Hz. A powered sub under the desk fills in the bottom octaves.

I'm a brand new user of the Equalizer APO app but it's great for this application. I have a little 20 watt/channel (into 8 ohms, 40 watts into 4 ohms) amp/DAC that has a usb input (you can see it to the left of the left speaker in the photo). So the speakers are built to play just the computer's output. Using Room Eq Wizard I measured the speakers' outputs, and then imported the compensating filter settings into Equalizer APO. If you look closely you can see the configuration editor on the computer monitor. Works great! I worried about directivity issues but in practice I move my head so little when I'm at the computer that it's really not a problem at all. And the imaging is quite remarkable, with the uber-nearfield listening.

I was inspired by the little desktop Maggies but uninspired by their cost. The most expensive parts of my speakers are the NdFeB magnets. I needed 252 of them. In case you want to price things out, I bought N42 magnets, 1" x 1/4" x 1/8", poled through the thin dimension, from Magnets For Less.

Few

Attachments

• IMG_0985.JPG
    IMG_0985.JPG
    814.8 KB · Views: 859
This is another non-kit answer to your kit question (sorry about that) but I thought it might demonstrate that even a from-scratch project need not be overly daunting or complicated.

I just installed, ten minutes ago in fact, these DIY planar magnetic desktop speakers. I wanted to see how much I could simplify the construction I used in my previous DIY planar magnetic project. The result was quite a simplification! Of course, these speakers are about 2 feet tall instead of 7 feet, made to show their guts, and use a single element for all frequencies above about 200 Hz. A powered sub under the desk fills in the bottom octaves.

I'm a brand new user of the Equalizer APO app but it's great for this application. I have a little 20 watt/channel (into 8 ohms, 40 watts into 4 ohms) amp/DAC that has a usb input (you can see it to the left of the left speaker in the photo). So the speakers are built to play just the computer's output. Using Room Eq Wizard I measured the speakers' outputs, and then imported the compensating filter settings into Equalizer APO. If you look closely you can see the configuration editor on the computer monitor. Works great! I worried about directivity issues but in practice I move my head so little when I'm at the computer that it's really not a problem at all. And the imaging is quite remarkable, with the uber-nearfield listening.

I was inspired by the little desktop Maggies but uninspired by their cost. The most expensive parts of my speakers are the NdFeB magnets. I needed 252 of them. In case you want to price things out, I bought N42 magnets, 1" x 1/4" x 1/8", poled through the thin dimension, from Magnets For Less.

Few

Super cool. Thank you for posting this.

I have never felt remotely limited as far as loudness goes. I haven't tested to see how much juice I generally use. The speakers are closer to 4 ohms than 8, so they take advantage of the extra current that's available. Still, I don't recall a single time I found I was pushing the limits of the available power. I'd be surprised if 9 watts (depending on how the amp handles current) wouldn't work.

If the amp you have would be better off with 8 ohms, you can just adjust the traces on the planar magnetic so they have more turns in the magnetic field, but have more resistance. Double the turns and you double the BL product. Double the trace resistance and you draw half the current, so you should end up where you started.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Are there any good DIY Planar Kits

Pick up a pair of old Magnpans and restore them! all the required magnets, mylar, frame are all there!

Just finished restoring two pairs of MG2.5R and started a Tympani T-ID...

With some Jazz playing in background and a pint of Guinness while rebuilding, very therapeutic!

Last edited:
partsexpress.com has recently started selling several planar tweeters and mid-tweeters at reasonable prices under the GRS brand. some of these might be able to play low enough with some equalization and a crossover to mate with a subwoofer, like desktop PC systems typically do. They also sell small class D amps with built in DSP.
There aren't any kits yet but I am thinking about using one myself with an 8" or 10" woofer in a two way speaker crossed over around 800-1Khz.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.