Decca/Kelly DKR30R broken ribbon

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I did not see anything in that article that said how thick the foil is. They were two mentions about it being 1/10 of a human hair and another saying 1/7th of a hair. Not sure what that is;)

Maximum sensativity will likley be with foil around 12 micron ( .0005 ") and you should get response past 20Khz. You can use thinner foil with some advantage and some disadvantage.
Im confident that even if you use the light duty foil from the grocery store ( around 18 micron) you will be suprised at how well it performs.

I did not see anything in that article that said how thick the foil is. They were two mentions about it being 1/10 of a human hair and another saying 1/7th of a hair. Not sure what that is;)

Maximum sensativity will likley be with foil around 12 micron ( .0005 ") and you should get response past 20Khz. You can use thinner foil with some advantage and some disadvantage.
Im confident that even if you use the light duty foil from the grocery store ( around 18 micron) you will be suprised at how well it performs.

You need to make sure you match the original microns if you dont you will change the output impedance of the ribbon.

I have made several spare ribbons for the Decca london and the Kelley with ordinary household alumnium foil and two pieces of ribbed cardbord to form it. It's a bit of tricky work, might fail a couple of times but hey, it cost nothing and when succeeded sound as good as the originals. Power handling is as bad as the originals as well so be prepared to replace them quite often.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.