My Quad 988 panel fix and coating experience.. finished today

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I had been dweling on this for months and completed the fix today and it is working pretty well. In one of the Quad's, one of the "bass panels" broke so I ended ordering a 2.5 u mylar from China. After a few months waiting in hurricane María's aftermath I completed the mission. First time I have done this. Following instructions and posts here and other internet sites, the mylar tensioning and installation was straighforward. Because I could not get that Lycron antiststic spray though it cannot be shipped by air to San Juan, I opted to try the PVA glue formula alernative. It is really working fine. I don't know if it is going to last long, from what I've seen or read here about its longevity but I'l keep you informed. The PVA glue I used is the wood kind which is not white but kind of cream colored. I used a proportion of 2 parts glue 5 parts Kirkland pure water -a plug for Costco here- a dap of dish soap and then sprayed into that mess with the carbon spray used for lubricating locks. Did only one pass with cotton swabs and let it set for 30 hours. 'been listening for 3 hours now and looks to be woerking pretty good. Greetings to all!

Richard

The sock comes off easily by sliding the top cap to one side and you will have to loosen the bolts that hold the panel assembly to the plastic base since the sock is stretched underneath and sandwiched between them.
You can run them without the sock since the dust covers are behind the screen.

The Licron 1756 is the high resistance coating that DIYers are using as a conductive layer for the membrane. 40 $ a can from Mouser

Quad used a 3 step process on this particular model from the factory that no one has
figured out yet and people are making their own hit and miss formulas hoping for a cure.
I,m in the same boat and redueing my 988's also.
ER audio has a formula that will work and think its ink based, but at least they have a solution available.

Regards
David

ER audio's formula, of which I believer Rod has two, work well and are similar to my own coating.

I use a tin-oxide powder (0.5um sized particles) as the conductive base. I use a water based polyester resin as my binder. I add dispersants, and a little wetting agent for good flow-out. It's been working well for nearly 20 years in the Quads I rebuild for people.

There's a lot of high resistance coatings out there in support of the electronics and semiconductor industries. Things from anti-static floor and work surface coatings, to additives for packaging. I've been told the lycron works well, but I haven't tried it.

Sheldon
quadesl.com

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.