Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please help a n00b build a trio clone (of sorts)
Please help a n00b build a trio clone (of sorts)
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th December 2017, 01:14 AM   #1
uraberg is offline uraberg  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Please help a n00b build a trio clone (of sorts)

As the title says, I'd like to build a pair of Trio15 clones. I like the sound of open baffle speakers, and the pureaudio design. Also, this particular size is about the max I can get away with.

Here's the problem. I have decent woodworking skills, but I'm really not blessed with an overabundance of understanding of electrical systems, and acoustics in general. I've tried to wade through Martin Kings quarter wave stuff, lots of forums, etc. I just get lost in it. I have to admit, I love bigger speakers as a design element, and I definitely appreciate great acoustics, but I can't really be bothered to understand it all..... (well, that makes me sound lazy. Actually, I just don't really understand it...)

So please help me out with a few (simple?) questions.

I'd like to build the trio's around Faital pro's 15pr400's. I have convinced myself that's the optimum woofer when balancing my desire for bass extension (in an open baffle), and cost.

Now, instead of just throwing a tang band in there to finish it off, I'd rather get a dedicated mid and tweeter in. I am worried about the high frequency response in general, ,and the off axis response of the tang band full rangers in particular.

Tl;dr:

I need help matching a mid, and a tweeter, to a pair of 15pr400's in an open baffle. I have a minidsp, and two amps, so I'd like to put a passive crossover between the mid and the tweeter, and biamp with the dsp between the faitals, and the mid-uppers. I need to keep the cost of two mids, and two tweeters under $500.

Does any of this sound unreasonable?
Old 9th December 2017, 02:32 AM   #2
Sonce is offline Sonce  Macedonia
diyAudio Member

Faital 15pr400 has way too small Qts parameter (= 0.32) resulting in no bass (in OB). Heavy miniDSP equalization will help, but at cost of wasted amplifier power. Consider another woofer with Qts=0.7 or bigger.
Old 9th December 2017, 12:49 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

As a self professed n00b, I can hardly argue with what the web keeps describing as a necessity for open baffle bass reproduction.

But there are some exceptions it seems, to this rule. (I will still try to argue for the faital, just because (on paper) it seems like such a great driver)

DIY-Loudspeakers. This guy builds gorgeous speakers, and uses the faital (or other low Qts speakers) in his open baffle design. Granted, his baffles are wider than mine will be, but then again, I'll be using 2 woofers vs his one. I don't mind some EQ, I'll drive these with two amps, so there's some headroom.

Also, to put things in perspective, these speakers will be used for music only. (And no pipe organ at that... )

I really wish there was someone in WNY with these faitals that i could listen to.
Old 9th December 2017, 08:03 PM   #4
Jim Griffin is offline Jim Griffin  United States
diyAudio Member

Browse the Pure Audio Project (PAP) site for some ideas about their open baffle projects. Their site is:

PureAudioProject – Open Baffle Speakers, Drivers and more..

PAP does offer a higher Qts 15" woofer that is designed for open baffle use for them by Eminence. This driver is manufactured by Eminence but has a cast frame and a Neo magnet to significantly update the Alpha 15a type driver for open baffle application. A pair of those drivers costs $399.

15″ Audiophile Grade Open Baffle Woofers – PureAudioProject

Good luck.
Old 9th December 2017, 10:33 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks for that. I didn't even consider checking to see if their upgraded drivers are for sale by them selves. The pricing is very reasonable. I'll probably get these then.
Old 10th December 2017, 02:06 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

The frequency response of these neo's looks much better than the original Alpha's!

So back to the original question then. As I'd rather not cross these over too high, I think a three way system might work better than a two way. Please suggest a mid and a tweeter to use with two of these 15"ers.

Thanks.
Old 12th December 2017, 12:30 AM   #7
Sonce is offline Sonce  Macedonia
diyAudio Member

Mid: 18Sound 10NDA610
High: Beyma TPL150/H or TPL200
Old 12th December 2017, 03:25 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

That is some highly sensitive stuff! I'll think about it.

In the mean time, I was thinking; dayton RS52AN-8 from 450hz to 2.5khz-ish with a Beston RT002A. ? Much lower sensitivity, but, I'm not running off a tube amp.
Old 12th December 2017, 05:31 AM   #9
picowallspeaker is offline picowallspeaker  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
instead of just throwing a tang band in there to finish it off
I was thinking of the new TB coaxial...5 and 1/2 "
but also
Quote:
dayton RS52AN-8
The new 6" fullrange with high sensitivity...which looks like a 8" rim.
Old 13th December 2017, 12:47 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Well, in fashion that is typical for me, I just went ahead and bought something that wasn't suggested at all.

It looks like I'm getting two Faital 6FE200 mids. The specs seem pretty nice (as far as i can tell ...) I'm still interested in crossing them with the Beston RT200A (dipole version), and the pure audio OB-a15neo's.

Is there any software (freeware) that allows me to design a crossover network between the mid and the tweeter?

Please help a n00b build a trio clone (of sorts)Hide this!Advertise here!