Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Magnepan MMG
Magnepan MMG
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th November 2017, 10:57 PM   #1
kinku is offline kinku  United States
diyAudio Member

Magnepan MMG
Default Magnepan MMG

I bought a pair of MMG after reading all reviews everywhere. I can see it provides ambience and spacial width etc but I do t think it is the best midrange I heard before. It does most part of sound reproduction reasonably well but does not think excels in anything.
What are your thoughts ?
Old 26th November 2017, 01:28 AM   #2
phase is offline phase  United States
diyAudio Member

My SMG sounded pretty good until I upgraded the crossovers with some better caps, then everything sounded better. You need some solid power and a good source with these things too.
Old 26th November 2017, 01:31 AM   #3
tyu is offline tyu  United States
diyAudio Member

The older Magnepans as you may know....had whats called there ...pole peace... the medel peace with the magnets on ... in front, mylar in back....Then Magenpan in 1991 ... turn them around....put the mylar in the front ......to my ears bad move..
BUT MMG never sounded right to me.....look at the mylars buttems....one of the speakers has 3....the other has one....I think magnepan thought the MMG sounded too good...an thay could not sale there other speakers like the1.6 -1.7 for3-4 times the money...
When Magnepan made the SMGa 1986 thay had only one butten each....one of the best
Souding speakers thay evey made....same size panels as the MMGs

But there a guy that dose mods on the MMGs an other 1.6 1.7....were turns the MMgs mylar to the back....like the older ones......Ck out peter Guns site...there to help get best sound....great wood work...killer looking speakers.....All one mans findings...good luck
Magnestand
Attached Images
File Type: jpg new_mmg_magnepan[1].jpg (104.1 KB, 366 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01968[1].jpg (103.2 KB, 362 views)
File Type: jpg all04[1].jpg (93.2 KB, 360 views)

Last edited by tyu; 26th November 2017 at 01:34 AM.
Old 26th November 2017, 04:52 AM   #4
kinku is offline kinku  United States
diyAudio Member

Magnepan MMG
One can come up with explanations but they are clearly a step ahead of most similar priced boxed speakers. But I guess is a jack of all trades type situation here. I am biased against speakers with crossovers in Midrange , or at least I get fatigue by listening to them.
Old 26th November 2017, 08:35 AM   #5
sumotan is online now sumotan  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Wow didn’t know that your also a Maggie Guru.
My hats off to you TYU

Cheers
Old 26th November 2017, 12:50 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinku View Post
One can come up with explanations but they are clearly a step ahead of most similar priced boxed speakers. But I guess is a jack of all trades type situation here. I am biased against speakers with crossovers in Midrange , or at least I get fatigue by listening to them.
Yes being in this Audio bizz for over 40 years.....I like panel type speakers!....Maggie Guru!....NO...just owner.
But most don't!..BIG..Not as dynamic ....not ezey to drive...
Magnepan sound great for the money,that a fact!
An I have liket owning the.... Smga, Smgc,MG1c,MG2c,MG3a,MG2.5r,....Not so much.... MMg,Mg1,7...
But Vary hard too a panel lover...to not like what I call a flat, big Single Driver Speaker....even with two voice coils on it one sheet of Mylar....fits the ear like a glove....No way can a 10"12"1"3" driver in a box keep up with that flat sound wave........WEll to my ears anyway...
I never ment to say thay were not good speakers...and with Peter Guns mods ....some say there up there with the best sound ever...

All things Audio I know for sure is.....if you don't go-own you don't know!
All just one mans finding...have fun...good luck
Old 26th November 2017, 01:28 PM   #7
sumotan is online now sumotan  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Very true of what you say TYU the wave front from panel speakers
are really something else altogether.
Old 26th November 2017, 04:23 PM   #8
phase is offline phase  United States
diyAudio Member

I had looked at the peter gunn site, but the diagrams described for my SMG model were nothing like what I actually had, so I never read much further.
What I wound up with was a cap replacement of 3 X 5uf arcotronics(Kemet C27) + 1uf Russian K71-5.
This replaced the 17uf electrolytic part in a series crossover, and is very clear with no sibilance, punchy bass.

Has anyone tried flipping the mmg around to see if they play better?
Old 26th November 2017, 10:31 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Mr Gun puts..His,that he came up with.. series crossover...in all his MMG, 12,1.6-1.7 mods.....then he flipping them around.......
He did the series cross over ... years before Magnepan went back to series type crossover.thay now.use in all there new speakers ...But the mmg!

Email him he well help you with the crossover...an parts years of his work have been the best sounding....hes a great, helpful man....
Old 27th November 2017, 03:29 PM   #10
Davey is offline Davey  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinku View Post
I am biased against speakers with crossovers in Midrange , or at least I get fatigue by listening to them.
Well, you've selected the wrong speakers then.
Even the magical "Peter Gunn" crossover modification recommended here doesn't move the crossover out of the midrange.

Dave.

Magnepan MMGHide this!Advertise here!