Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

How to modify SMGa to Active Crossover?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th November 2017, 03:54 AM   #11
Tromperie is offline Tromperie  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Here's a very basic question: Is it worth it? I have read many places that bi-amping is worth exploring.
In my (anecdotal only) experience, yes. I converted one of a pair of two-ways to active and thought the passives had a towel draped over the front of the speaker, so second to active. I then converted one two-way to a three-way by adding a mid-range, with the same effect.

I now run three way actives and when I hear passive speakers, they sound either 'thin', muffled (more in the mid-range), or contrived to sound initially impressive but are tiring and irritating after a short time. Some songs are spectacular with actives, such as Smells Like Teen Spirit as loud as you can bear.
Old 19th November 2017, 12:12 PM   #12
tyu is offline tyu  United States
diyAudio Member

I have ran a pr of the SMGa an other Magnepans ative....as with any speaker ran active.....it can sound better or diff ...but you need more amps, XO....I well say in this case the SMGa with the only series XO used back in the day....An as thay use in all there new speakers made to day.....I an magnepan don't think you can get better sound than the series Ox...less you spend Big money on amps an Xo....
The SMGa is one sweet sounding speaker I had more than one pr upgread the cap an coil...an go to the Magnestand site an get the new Xo Peter Gun uses in his MOD to these SMGa....
But Magnepan dose not sale the tweeter wire repair kit any more, an it the tweeter gose in these over 30 year old babys...well good luck...
All just one mans finding....
Old 19th November 2017, 06:58 PM   #13
SanJoseMichael is offline SanJoseMichael  United States
diyAudio Member

Many thanks to all, looks likes it's very easy to do. I'm hoping it improves the sound, but if not, easily reversible.

MG
Old 20th November 2017, 12:25 AM   #14
SanJoseMichael is offline SanJoseMichael  United States
diyAudio Member

kevinkr, that software did you use to generate the graphs?
Old 4th December 2017, 09:40 PM   #15
DeltaStar is offline DeltaStar  Canada
diyAudio Member

I'm gonna try and bi-amp my smga, desolder main panel connections, solder on new ones to each driver and start off at 1000 hz and play it by ear from there.

Like your minidsp idea, gotta get me one
Old 4th December 2017, 10:07 PM   #16
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJoseMichael View Post
kevinkr, that software did you use to generate the graphs?
LTSpice which is here: Linear Technology - Design Simulation and Device Models
Old 5th December 2017, 12:06 AM   #17
phase is offline phase  United States
diyAudio Member

Pretty cool, let us know how it sounds without the crossover in the way.

How to modify SMGa to Active Crossover?Hide this!Advertise here!