sanity check

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I do not know if this answers CharlieM's question but you might remember that I built a pair of Ripole subwoofers using single 12sls woofers. They work pretty well in my small room -12'x11'- but I know they would have more control and less travel if used in pairs. The lp filter is set at 80 hz with a 24 db slope using a minidsp hd crossover with a 3 db increasse eq at 30 hz and a hp filter set at 15 hz with a 24 db slope also. HP filter for my FW F4 amp and Spatial m4's is passive using a cap setting a 6db slope at 80 hz also.

I figured it’s about time to update this thread:
As previously mentioned, this speaker was built for a friend who imposed a requirement that the speaker pair had to fit into his 2008 Audi for transport. Hence; the OB bass section.

I had so many reservations about the design that I was hesitant to post anything more about it until I had confirmed that it works. The low-qts woofer on an OB was a risky choice; giving priority to blending well with the ESL at the expense of requiring separate subs for the bottom two octaves—but my friend has DSP and awesome subs, so it’s not a problem.

In the end the speakers turned out esthetically gorgeous, and thanks to some really smart people on this forum who helped me along the way, they sound really nice too. The video link below shows the speakers playing this past week at the 2018 Carverfest retreat in NC. They made a big hit with my friends at the fest and the Bobfather (Bob Carver) raved about them.

Video

image.php

Last edited:
Nice one charlie.
Did you work out the low cutoff of the OB woofer?

R

Thanks Rod,

Initial setup had the woofer's upper & lower cutoffs at 250Hz & 70Hz with 24db LR slopes. If you watched the video you saw the (4) 15" OB subs, which had to be pulled down about 20db, as they were otherwise overpowering. And the mid-bass woofer is so efficient its gain had to be set 10db below the panel.

My friend Martin, who now owns the speakers, did some more tweaking over the 10 days at Carverfest, using a DBX Driverack Venu 360 (wish I had one of those)-- not sure what all he did but the longer and louder they played, the better they sounded. My friend has a lead foot on the volume, driving them with 6-channels of a 7X400 Sunfire amp, and they can play loud as hell. No doubt they are VERY robust.

Anyway, my friend is happy with the speakers and I'm recovering from the burn-out of building them.

Charlie

Last edited:
Thanks guys,
They turned out so pretty I didn't want to let them go. My friend Martin, who now owns them, grabbed them up so fast I didn't have a chance to really play them much at my house.

Steve, I will probably be in touch regarding a passive crossover-- sounds intriguing.

I actually think the new speakers look better from the backside:

IMG_0937.jpg

IMG_0938.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, One more for the Books... Just a Great looking an sounding ESL,
We have to lov YouTube ...We can go there an play things Like your speakers an hear intervews, an all get input from the Great Bob Carver...One of Audios real Living Kings

Thanks so much for your time an Work an info to help us all...keep up the good work jazzman

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.