Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Driving ESL transformer more efficient on SS-amp
Driving ESL transformer more efficient on SS-amp
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th November 2017, 10:51 PM   #31
Joshcpct is offline Joshcpct  Germany
diyAudio Member

Ah thats a useful link thank you!

Well the thing is, i need some resistance right, not to blow the amp.
At least 2 Ohms. On my Parasound HCA2200 II .
As I intend to use them bridged, i need to double up to 4 ohms, not to risk overheating due to DC offset.
But the resistor burns approx that energy which im adding by bridging. So the bridge is for nothing.
(yes i dont need 1k Watt, but i intend to use an amp so strong that its bored on the ESL as I always feel they sound slightly stressed)

I use quiet steep linearphase FIR filter actively and would like to settle around 200Hz as the capacitis distortion raises exactly below 200 Hz.

So, using a first order highpass Cap would block all DCR and DCoffset from the bridge amp, without burning the precious amplifier effort in a bigger resistor, still having 2 Ohm resistor behind the cap.

Well, seems like that would be too nice to be true... looking at your other post.
Im thinking now, what specs this shunt resistor should have to be still audiophile.
Being parallel to the amp/speaker, it should not disturb much the speaker i guess, even if I take a cheap highly inductive ceramic resistor or ? Should just be high power version.

Other question is if this network of caps + serial resistor + parallel resistor isnt slowly disturbing the sound more than it profits from power capacity on amp side

But most crucial, will it burn power? I mean something is floating through the resistor, something that the amp worked for before. So the total efficiency of dB per Watt would still be better in this setup compared to normal 2 ohm serial on non-bridged amp with half the power????

cheers
Josh
Old 25th November 2017, 02:49 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

I calculated for 2 ohms serial 2.83 volt...
Then having additional shunt resistor of 10 ohms will cause voltage drop to 2.35 V
Meaning a loss of roughly 2dB. Agree?
That’s a lot
Old 26th November 2017, 04:46 AM   #33
bolserst is offline bolserst  United States
diyAudio Member

To avoid any sensitivity loss from shunt resistor, place it upstream of the 2 ohm series resistor.

My recollection is that the Parasound HCA-2200 and 2200 II both had DC servos, so I don't think DC offset should be a problem. If you are measuring more than 5mV of offset, there may be a problem with the servo. With an active crossover rolling off below 200Hz, you should have no problem running with just the 2 ohm series resistor and no capacitor or shunt resistance.
Attached Images
File Type: png ESL_HP_input.png (14.7 KB, 145 views)
Old 13th July 2018, 01:08 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

Hi bolserst!
Very much appreciated all your help till now, seriously

Another issue appeared:
my ESL hum slightly.
Not much, must be silent, and my ears 1 inch from panel, but they hum.
Could be 50 cycles, quiet low.

Any idea ?

cheers
Josh
Old 14th July 2018, 09:22 PM   #35
bolserst is offline bolserst  United States
diyAudio Member

Does the hum remain when the amplifier is disconnected from the ESL?
If so, you may need to increase some of the capacitor values used in the HV multiplier to reduce the ripple.
More details here: ESL Power supply question?
Old 15th July 2018, 05:47 PM   #36
geraldfryjr is offline geraldfryjr  United States
diyAudio Member

If your ground is taken from the opposite capacitor bank of the multiplier than the output comes from, then you will get hum.

FWIW

Cheers !!

jer

Driving ESL transformer more efficient on SS-ampHide this!Advertise here!