Carver Amazing Ribbon - no output

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a pair of Carver Amazings - Silver Edition. Ribbons are 48".
1 of the ribbons has no output whatsoever. I have removed it from the frame and cut the leads at the bottom. Feeding a signal directly to the leads (or where they attach to the small board) gives no results.
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

I have a pair of Carver Amazings - Silver Edition. Ribbons are 48".
1 of the ribbons has no output whatsoever. I have removed it from the frame and cut the leads at the bottom. Feeding a signal directly to the leads (or where they attach to the small board) gives no results.
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

After so many years the magnets are prone to breaking loose from the frames and the diaphragms are prone to buzzing and shorting out.

A friend on the CarverSite Forum has rebuilt quite a few of those ribbons; which involves a complete tear down and re-gluing all magnets in place (using a special jig) with newer/better adhesives, followed by installing new corrugated polyamide film / AL foil diaphragms.

Be advised though, that the original diaphragms were made from 1-mil polyamide film which is no longer manufactured by any supplier.

My re-builder friend found a supplier to makeup a special batch of 2-mil polyamide film with bonded aluminum conductors. The 2-mil diaphragms roll off the highs a bit lower than the originals (due to the higher mass) and the resistance is a bit lower too, but they still sound great (I've heard them) and are more robust than the originals.

If you're interested, PM me and I'll contact my friend to see if he wants to do it.

Scott,
I just talked to my friend. His current rebuild price is $250 per ribbon + shipping both ways (he lives in NC). I will PM you his name & phone number.

DeltaStar,
I have my friend's permission to PM you his contact info. You may find him reluctant to sell the film alone, however--considering the time, effort and cost to find a supplier willing to fab a one-off batch was so high that he really needs to do the complete rebuilds to recoup that investment.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.