Anyone looking to use Hygeia (Airborne) AMT tweeters in their designs?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm looking into getting some for a small project. Anyone want in on an order?

This is the pricing I got from them:

I suspect the better the order, the better the price. I'm looking to order in about 3 weeks, give or take. Naturally it would have to be one order to save on shipping costs as well. Stock they come with all-black anodized faceplates, but they can make available the faceplate with a clean machined aluminum 45° bevel.

Last edited:
This is the frequency response of a "variant" of the RT-5002 in my Legacy Audio Calibres. They are crossed over at 2.8kHz. This is in-room response, including all reflections. It is supposed to be "flat" out to 30kHz, but my Mic software doesn't pick up that high. They do sound awesome though.

uc

I used the 5002 in my Nephila project. It was great, dynamic, but only good down to about 3.4kHz.

Wolf

Well, it all depends how they are implemented, but I'm sure you know that already. I found an .frd file for them, and yes they have to be "tamed" to get anything resembling a flat response due to their very "peaky" nature, so in effect down-tuning the sensitivity via the crossover can get them to seemingly behave differently, so it seems.

uc

One of the things I'm wondering is how they will do in multiples. I don't expect too too much considering the wide spacing that is necessary between the elements, but who knows. I'm crossing my fingers that I can get them to give a little more down-low without too much response shaping filtering.

I did have to notch the peak in the response, but there is enough sensitivity to do so.

The boosting of the lower treble for this driver would best be done by a waveguide if you are inclined to go that route. Hawthorne Audio used a Beyma TPL-150 this way and it seemed to work for them.

I don't know if using multiples will do much to extend the low end, as the inherent FR will still reside. Due to the vertical dispersion, I doubt you'll get much comb filtering to reduce the top end in that manner either. They also don't couple like non-planar types to increase level in the lower treble.

I'd try an attach a file or 2 for you, but the interface seems to be locking up the website when I try it.

Later,
Wolf

Try this again...

This ought to help you out,
Wolf

Attachments

• nephila (2).jpg
    nephila (2).jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 406
  • Nephila5C Xover.jpg
    Nephila5C Xover.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 409
  • Nephila5C_tweeterElectrical.jpg
    Nephila5C_tweeterElectrical.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 386
  • RT5002-CSD_Vance.jpg
    RT5002-CSD_Vance.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 347
  • RT5002H.jpg
    RT5002H.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 140
  • RT5002-HD.jpg
    RT5002-HD.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 130
  • RT5002V.jpg
    RT5002V.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 130
Thanks, I think I had ran into those pictures previously doing a google image search. If only a suitable off-the-shelf horn for the RT-5002's existed. We have a 3D printer at work, but I'd have to learn the programming language to set it all up. I guess this is a good a time as any, lol.

Finally! Order placed. I wish the process was a bit easier, but oh well. Crossing my fingers that my bank wire transfer finds it's way over there safely, LOL. Seems they don't have paypal or other forms of payment, since I asked but was not extended any other payment options. Ordered 4 x RT-50021's, 4 x RT-4001's, & 4 x RT-20051's. Grand total $428 USD.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.