Quad ESL 2905

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It is high voltage arcing. All quads are vulnerable to this when played too loud, or with high power amplifiers. The arcing burns holes through the mylar diaphragm, eventually requiring repair by replacing the mylar diaphragm.

I don't know the cause of the arcing, but it happened at high volume for me, but only when my power tubes (100W EL34 amps) were old and weak. When I replaced with new tubes, the arcing at high volume stopped. ymmv

Search for quad arcing, on this forum and on the web.

I have 4 of those that operate properly but all 4 of them present the same failure .
Popping sounds exactly like one amplifier suffers from poor soldering somewhere in the PCB randomly .

I have found a nice manual and tutorial in a previous thread but its 125 pages and i will read it

I was just wondering if someone could point me something

possibly insects or dust/debris. Is the household tobacco smoke free? Do you deep fry cook a lot? I had such problems with Quad but never with Acoustat.

Obviously I can't make a certain diagnosis by remote control, but it sounds like you have bad panels from either failed stator glue or problems with the diaphragms. This is very common in that vintage of speaker.

The speaker will make popping or faint hissing noises when powered up and nothing attached to the input terminals. It will get worse with time.

Sheldon
quadesl.com

It is high voltage arcing. All quads are vulnerable to this when played too loud, or with high power amplifiers. The arcing burns holes through the mylar diaphragm, eventually requiring repair by replacing the mylar diaphragm.

I don't know the cause of the arcing, but it happened at high volume for me, but only when my power tubes (100W EL34 amps) were old and weak. When I replaced with new tubes, the arcing at high volume stopped. ymmv

Search for quad arcing, on this forum and on the web.

What do you means "burns holes through the mylar" ?
Can I check if it happened?
Do it happend only on the tweeter? can protective board help with this ?

Yes, it happens when the speakers are on and even without any audio signal. Very annoying!
on my speakers (esl57) the bias transformare having some buzzing noises allways (like a tube amp)

bias cant make any noises without the audio signal

You can play the speakers with audio source 1minute without the bias voltage becoase they charged

Last edited:
ESL 2905 issues

What do you means "burns holes through the mylar" ?
Can I check if it happened?
Do it happend only on the tweeter? can protective board help with this ?

on my speakers (esl57) the bias transformare having some buzzing noises allways (like a tube amp)

bias cant make any noises without the audio signal

You can play the speakers with audio source 1minute without the bias voltage becoase they charged

The ESL 2905 and its small model are not happy in humid areas and are prone to the crackling/popping sounds. It a normal issue with these speakers. I even bought a dehumidifier but no luck! The root cause is the poor quality glue used which loses contact and the stators are separated from the main panel structure, this causes problems. Dust particles or humidity is the main cause.

The solution is to open/disassemble the panel, which is giving the popping sound, mostly it is the high frequency panels - being the top two.

Once open, you can carefully clean the mylar diaphragm and the opposite side to get rid of dust etc.

Additionally, check if the glue has given way and re-glue those lose contact points or all of them as needed.

The bias noise would need changes in the electronic part but I am not familiar with that. I know that certain electronic components need replacement after a period even if the speakers have not been in use.

6FB167DA-9BC7-4D54-BCF1-EF2342F7CB27.jpg

CAC90BE2-5D0F-4770-9FAE-7AC2B02355CD.jpg Regluing the- fixed -Mylar side is not as simple as you state. If the back side stator is coming loose on that side your only recourse is new Mylar and coating.

Take a look at 3 panels I bought off EBay from Europe where someone tried to forgo new Mylar and glue it themselves 👌😔

I reworked them as extras when I rebuilt some 988,s

Regards
David

View attachment 773635

View attachment 773636 Regluing the- fixed -Mylar side is not as simple as you state. If the back side stator is coming loose on that side your only recourse is new Mylar and coating.

Take a look at 3 panels I bought off EBay from Europe where someone tried to forgo new Mylar and glue it themselves 👌😔

I reworked them as extras when I rebuilt some 988,s

Regards
David

That's correct. Replacement of Mylar will be required unless there is a trick to glue the panel without removing the Mylar.......

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.