Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

DIY Speaker - Build your own driver?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th March 2016, 11:15 AM   #11
bentoronto is offline bentoronto  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrineX View Post
You might need a bit more then fridge Magnets
For sure.

How do you figure motor force? In earlier times, you might be able to learn magnet weight - which manufacturers intentionally try to confuse you about because sometimes is the magnet per se and sometimes the whole magnetic structure (and also depends on the magnet's material).

Today you might get access to a spec for the BL product. Is that magnetism in the gap multiplied by number of turns in the gap?

So, is the way to judge motor forcefulness really the BL product adjusted for moving mass? Or do you need to correct for turns outside the gap? And correct for static resistance and inductance?

Ben

Last edited by bentoronto; 7th March 2016 at 11:19 AM.
Old 7th March 2016, 12:07 PM   #12
WrineX is offline WrineX  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentoronto View Post
For sure.

How do you figure motor force? In earlier times, you might be able to learn magnet weight - which manufacturers intentionally try to confuse you about because sometimes is the magnet per se and sometimes the whole magnetic structure (and also depends on the magnet's material).

Today you might get access to a spec for the BL product. Is that magnetism in the gap multiplied by number of turns in the gap?

So, is the way to judge motor forcefulness really the BL product adjusted for moving mass? Or do you need to correct for turns outside the gap? And correct for static resistance and inductance?

Ben
My knowledge of dynamic loudspeakers does not extend so far to give any useful awnsers. So can't help you there.
Old 8th March 2016, 09:55 PM   #13
Clashing is offline Clashing  United States
diyAudio Member

Is it possible? Sure, Hentai did it on this very forum...
Is it worth? More complicated question because that all depends on what you're in the market for, what resources you have available to you and whether or not anything on the market fulfills your requirements.

In terms of resources: a CNC machine for metal parts, a degree in electromechanical engineering, some skill in finding suppliers and plenty of money and patience. Now those things all help and you certainly don't have to have them all but the less you have to work with, the harder is to build something that works.

In terms of what you're in the market for: when Hentai built his 12 inch full range field coil, he did it because there was nothing that really fit that that came off a shelf. Same for Solhaga and his AMT, no commercial AMT reaches to 300z but he wanted it and so he built it.

My school just picked up a CNC machine and 3D printer, so I may try something with them in the near future. If I do I will try and remember to report back to this thread because right now I'm seriously thinking about making (or at least trying to) a 1 inch exit compression with a CNC machined aluminum diaphragm like YG uses and a plastic body printed in 3D ( that's where I got the idea...), but anyway this all goes to my point on resources.
i am on the team that is responsible for building both the machine and printer, so I can tell you that this stuff cost some serious cash, as in 10k for the CNC machine (think its three axi) alone.
Old 8th March 2016, 09:59 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

BTW, if you do pursue this further then just be warned that trying to clone a given driver is just too hard... Better to design your own at that point. Ask one of the moderators to please move this thread to the multiway section as you will surely get more answers there.
Regards,
Clashing
Old 9th March 2016, 11:03 AM   #15
WrineX is offline WrineX  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clashing View Post
Is it possible? Sure, Hentai did it on this very forum...
Is it worth? More complicated question because that all depends on what you're in the market for, what resources you have available to you and whether or not anything on the market fulfills your requirements.

In terms of resources: a CNC machine for metal parts, a degree in electromechanical engineering, some skill in finding suppliers and plenty of money and patience. Now those things all help and you certainly don't have to have them all but the less you have to work with, the harder is to build something that works.

In terms of what you're in the market for: when Hentai built his 12 inch full range field coil, he did it because there was nothing that really fit that that came off a shelf. Same for Solhaga and his AMT, no commercial AMT reaches to 300z but he wanted it and so he built it.

My school just picked up a CNC machine and 3D printer, so I may try something with them in the near future. If I do I will try and remember to report back to this thread because right now I'm seriously thinking about making (or at least trying to) a 1 inch exit compression with a CNC machined aluminum diaphragm like YG uses and a plastic body printed in 3D ( that's where I got the idea...), but anyway this all goes to my point on resources.
i am on the team that is responsible for building both the machine and printer, so I can tell you that this stuff cost some serious cash, as in 10k for the CNC machine (think its three axi) alone.
dont forget Bernt aka Bandsei
Old 10th March 2016, 01:04 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrineX View Post
dont forget Bernt aka Bandsei
Thats true, forgot about him and RayCtech (?), the man behind the DIY AMT craze.
Old 11th May 2016, 06:16 AM   #17
JMFahey is offline JMFahey  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasicHIFI1 View Post

Anyone build their own woofer drivers from scratch? Not worth it?

Just a thought provoker...
Well, I do.

In fact, I make and sell them commercially, both in my own cabinets and spares, also export them.

Built and sold over 10000 by now, lost count around 2006 .

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 11th May 2016, 09:26 AM   #18
BasicHIFI1 is offline BasicHIFI1  Sri Lanka
diyAudio Member

Looks great. Do you have a website?
Old 13th November 2016, 12:01 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Custom DIY 6.5" Fullrange Driver

Just saw this DIY driver awesome stuff.
Old 7th February 2018, 05:03 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

That thread was updated since.

Custom DIY 6.5" Fullrange Driver

And some new speakers appeared on YT

YouTube

YouTube

DIY Speaker - Build your own driver?Hide this!Advertise here!