Rodin Speaker Design - New Speaker Design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys, this is my first post here and I just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Phillip Malecot and I'm a student at Florida State University studying electrical and mechanical engineering. Through my copious amount of time on the internet and looking into new technologies I ran into a man named Marko Rodin and his Rodin Coil. It took me a while to understand his theory and to apply his teachings. Me being a music and high quality audio enthusiast thought to apply his technology in speaker design. I have a couple of prototypes I'm playing with in my room and wanted to gauge your guys interest in a omnidiretional speaker with a flat response across the range. It can be scaled down or up for larger power handling requirements, and has many other unique characteristics not found in diaphragm speakers. I'll attach some links so you can find out more and a picture or two of my coils so far. Let me know what you guys think and if you have any questions. I'm also attempting to post this on parts express but as I am new there I have to wait to be approved by a moderator..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUUEWz7HFC4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XCJHe0ohLc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIV-up41H6s

Attachments

• IMG_0299.jpg
    IMG_0299.jpg
    871.2 KB · Views: 379
Your skepticism is warranted, his theories are out there and not much can be verified at this point, other than this type of coil displays many different properties from traditional coils. I don't know if you've gone through and tested any of your disbelief out, but I have, and while Rodin might be a bit of a crackpot, his ideas and design of a coils is revolutionary for the commercial field and I think many fields would benefit from a new extremely efficient coil design.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Only April 1 because you are so close to that side of the Dateline. Still March for us here in Hawaii.

But the Rodin coil looks interesting. Certainly a different way of making a speaker, - star shaped field coil, maybe.. Why not experiment, looks like fun and you may learn something.

Phillip Malecot,

If this is true, you have solved loudspeaker engineering problems that have plagued designers for decades, so I can't help but be very skeptical. Can you provide measurements and data to support your claims?

Mike

My design process is ongoing and certainly not perfect. I'm not at the stage where it's producing all frequency ranges but it certainly radiates sound in all directions and sounds remarkably clear doing it! My point in showing you guys is for you to check out a new idea for audio reproduction and gauge interest. It's not perfect but it has the potential to be. In theory and with the right tooling this appears to be a marvel new design that will shake up the classic speaker that we've been seeing in slightly different forms since the early 1900s. I don't have a proper expensive microphone to test its response accurately but am working hard to get it closer to a traditional persons hearing range and maybe one of these days I'll save enough to buy one hashtag ramen forever. Thanks for the posts guys

essential its like a normal tactile transducer but reversed. no windings in a magnet gap but maget in the windings magnet gap. the benefit? well i diont know. when making a cone speaker of it you have to move the mass of the magnet around. an even field is hard to do to. if i see the guy speak, it remninds me to allot of these free energy dudes. not verry trust worthy in my opnion

by the way still nice of you to post it, i mean maybe its not a stunning find but this part of the forum is called planar EXOTICS this is certainly an exotic idea :) so

Last edited:
It's not perfect but it has the potential to be.
In theory and with the right tooling this appears to be a marvel new
design that will shake up the classic speaker that we've been seeing
in slightly different forms since the early 1900s.

Hi,

Fat chance. You don't know your theory, or have
any real idea of what it can and cannot do in fact.

There is nothing to indicate it makes a decent
speaker, quite the opposite, it seems very poor.

rgds, sreten.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.