DIY planar magnetic

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The articles were published in 1995/1996. Attached is a pic of the 1995 cover.
I used to have a copy, but couldn't locate it last time I looked for it.

D. Patten, "A Push-Pull Planar Speaker Quest, Part 1", Speaker Builder, No. 8, (1995).
D. Patten, "A Push-Pull Planar Speaker Quest, Part 2", Speaker Builder, No. 4, (1996).

I believe these were the forerunner to the PS40.
Alternate-Audio

Attachments

• SB1995-8_Ribbon_Build.jpg
    SB1995-8_Ribbon_Build.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 942
Ok, I sent copies again by email. It's a big email (6MB total), so let me know if anyone who wanted it didn't receive it. If I get much more demand, I might ask audioxpress for permission to post it on my website - not sure if they still sell those old issues.

I like the Patten articles, especially because he points out some problems and suggests solutions in the 2nd one. Having tried a couple times (with both planar magnetic & ESL), these planar speakers are difficult to get right. Mine had unwanted resonances, and I could see it would be a big effort. Even Magneplanar and Martin Logan seem to be fighting this.

Are there any articles anyone has found particularly helpful? Scott

Much obliged, Scott!

There are several issues addressed that still pose problems, I think vibrations due to resonances will be the biggest challenge for me anyway.

I mean, anyone can glue some magnets...

Interesting with the open cell foam that "rectifies" the air flow.

I'll also go for using (magnetic) wire instead of foil; it is much easier to get the shape correct as the wire can be laid in layers without any isolating tape in between. But foil has its benefits as the current density can be varied if the field is stronger/weaker in some area.

I am not sure though that the membrane needs to be light weighted if the intended frequency range is in the bass region. I suspect that fs still relies on mms and cms. So a heavy membrane with a flexible surround should the goal for that.

got the scans , again - thanks!

nice SB article , lots of info ... btw I have 6 of the Strathearn magnetostatic drivers in good condition in stock but without transformers - I drove 2 others slightly modificated using a 1.5 ohm resistor in series resulting in a load of 2ohm , no problem for my old Kenwood KA907 , never had a speaker protection relay event .

Very soft and "springy" cotton wool face makeup removing pads in 8mm thickness , cut to rectangle pieces and placed under/over the foil zones at the sides beneath the conductor made the freq response totally flat , no need for any EQ - but it is very difficult to implement , I would not do it again .

But by installing new new foils it would be an option ...

The original polyether foam stripes hardens with time and get brittle , not a good solution for long term damping consistency .

Older Strathearn incarnations had fine yellowish glass wool damping on the sides - works much better than cheap foam .

Foil was 6um mylar and 9um aluminium foil on one side , bonded together with polyurethane glue which seem to shrink over time and warps the surface ... so choosing some better suited glue is recommended as the warps are causing easy to hear buzzing noises even at low playback level with pink noise/terz bandwith at some freqs around 800 - 2000Hz . With music this is masked in most cases by our hearing mechanism which concentrates of the most relevant tones of a spectrum from a complex signal .

hope this helps , bye - Uncle Marv

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.