Has anyone tried a chinese AMT ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Of late there seems to be an explosion of AMT's even in parts-express -

Has anyone tried - Free shipping AMT Ribbon tweeter car speaker-in Speakers from Electronics on Aliexpress.com

At barely 20 a pop shipped - has anyone tried them ?

How about the planar magnetics -
Ribbon tweeter 8 magnetic stripe-inOther Consumer Electronics from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com

Seriously the sawafuji's I thought were very very good in what they delivered. They made excellent emit replacements.

Thanks.
Srinath.

I am not sure about that - "you get what you pay for" mantra being appropriate for everything about china.
Chinese have been close behind the japanese in electronics going back a few years. These things take hours and hours of labor from skilled people with small hands. I think its near impossible to match the chinese in that regard.

Metal castings and other machined components - forget it, I'll never buy chinese junk - though I think some of it has snuck onto my wife's accord. My stuff is all not even from this century, so I have very few chinese metal parts if any.

Cool.
Srinath.

I was more or less chiming in about materials as well. The Chinese mfr their materials themselves and almost always have copied non-Oriental products. In what i think is true about materials mfd in China - the finer the material mfg the higher the prices can be. Lots of expensive material manufacturing comes out of China now and... there's plenty of low-end materials being produced there.

To wit; not only steel and / or cast portions but the Kapton substrate and circuit metallurgy would be my issue with a wholly inexpensive amt vs. the labor to fold the diaphragm and adhere the conductor, as an example.

Have had a few chinese amts and for the most part are rather difficult to make a poor design unless you're completely inept. Upon those I find little to dislike. One thing that threw me prior to purchasing the rt4001's was a disagreement in the sensitivity spec. Manufacture claims 89dB when others and including myself rate them for 93-94dB. Being purely resistive in nature it's an easy fix passively (resistor) and a pure positive if done active (dynamic headroom).

Airborne RT5002

I've mocked up an as-yet unfinished-cabinet using the RT5002 and a HiVi F6 (Nephila). This AMT advertises as 2.5k+ range and 95dB, but it comes out closer to 100dB, and 3k at the lowest in terms of inherent response. It also needed a notch in the response to flatten it out- but you have 100dB to work with so it's really very okay to do so.

All that said- these sound VERY(!!!) good! I'm also daring to use the term 'holographic', because that is what at least 2 other people used to describe it.

400+Hz valid:

HD of system:

xover:

Food for thought,
Wolf

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.