Carver amazing ribbon repair

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I got carver amazings today and I have one tweeter that seems to be out.

The good one reads about 7.7 ohm dc resistance without a signal fed to them, the bad ones read 8.7 or so.
Now the bad one has about 3.6 ohm resistance in the tweeter.
There is an ac voltage coming to that tweeter from the crossover when its in play - fluctuating between 2 and 5-6 v. I think the crossover works fine.

However there is no sound from the tweeter.

That speaker also causes the amp to shut off when its being played. The good one that makes sound from the tweeter does not.

What could be happening here.

Cool.
Srinath.

Are you sure its the tweeter ?
How about disconnecting the speaker and placing say an 8 ohm /5w load on the problem amp channel .
Measure if any voltage across the resistor with no music playing
Try to eliminate the amp as a problem.
Use a resistor instead of a speaker just in case there IS a problem with the amp.

The Bad ribbon when removed from the circuit reads open.
I guess I have a bad ribbon on my hands.
Why is that causing the amp to cut out though ... does it short when its got a signal ?
If I didn't connect that, the woofers make sound and that is it, amp isn't cutting out.
If I connect it, amp clicks on and off (Cuts out and back in) @ anything more than 1/8th volume ...
Cool.
Srinath.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.