Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Apogee Buzz Fix
Apogee Buzz Fix
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th December 2018, 06:37 AM   #61
DAMIC is offline DAMIC  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Silicon will keep foam from further decay, what is inevitable.
Old 23rd December 2018, 03:56 PM   #62
artm is offline artm  United States
diyAudio Member

Since the silicon treatment is permanent and cannot be undone if misapplied, I would try this first:

Someone else tried the foam weatherstrip with a sticky side taped to the brace and the foam touching the panel. I would try a similar foam strip WITHOUT the sticky side and just press it into the area of the old foam.

Since most of these strips are about 1/2-in to 3/4-in wide, you may need to trim them down a bit.

If this resolves the buzz, the you apply can the silicone to keep the new foam in place against the brace. I wouldn't even do this unless I noticed the foam coming loose. Play them for a while and then inspect. If the foam is still intact, leave it alone.
Old 23rd December 2018, 04:06 PM   #63
Davey is offline Davey  United States
diyAudio Member

That's a really narrow gap, and if you press something in you have the potential to damage/deform/deflect the transducer. And, you're only able to do this on one (the front) side of the transducer anyways.
The silicone application really is the best (by far) repair treatment you can perform on the speakers.....short of the expensive rebuild procedure.

Dave.
Old 23rd December 2018, 08:07 PM   #64
artm is offline artm  United States
diyAudio Member

Can you really do the silicone treatment on the rear side???
Old 23rd December 2018, 10:19 PM   #65
diyAudio Member

Of course.
One of the primary objectives and benefits of the silicone treatment is that you CAN do the inside.

Dave.
Old 24th December 2018, 05:45 PM   #66
diyAudio Member

Apogee Speakers Construction

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 24th December 2018, 05:56 PM   #67
diyAudio Member

The Stage is a much easier procedure, of course.

It's more challenging with non-Stage speakers, but still doable. The speaker must propped up on its side (one side, then the other) and well-secured. The application through the perforated magnet plate is tedious and time-intensive, but you will be rewarded in the end.

Dave.
Old 29th December 2018, 01:51 AM   #68
geraldedison is offline geraldedison
diyAudio Member

John,

I really appreciate this post... like yourself, I was new owner of a used pair of duetta signature for short time before the hissing and resonance problem began to ruin the honeymoon with these speakers.

I don't have the $$ to have it professionally restore, so I'm eager to try out the foam fix you shared.

You instructions are great, but I'm stuck in the starting line as I look at the back of the speaker, I can't even figure out how to get pass the sock of the speaker and how to get to the foam...

I can't find any screws that how the back and front together...

for those of you who have done this fix already, you must have found the trick...please enlighten me!!

Thanks.

Gerald
Old 29th December 2018, 03:46 PM   #69
diyAudio Member

Look at the bottom of the speakers, you will find two screws....
Old 30th December 2018, 02:34 AM   #70
geraldedison is offline geraldedison
diyAudio Member

thank you for the quick reply....i actually didn't think about looking at the bottom...that is the one edge not visible to me all this time...

Thanks, I can start prepping for the foam restoration.

Apogee Buzz FixHide this!Advertise here!