Acoustat panels

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I picked up a pair of acoustat 8" panels (5 wire) with a copper ring around outer edge of the membrane inside the stator. Anyone seen panels like this?

That does NOT sound like anything ever made at the factory. A photo would be helpful, but based on your description, I am not sure why this would have been done. Perhaps a misguided attempt to more thoroughly connect the conductive coating to the bias supply? I seriously doubt that would be helpful to the performance, it adds moving mass to the diaphragm, and leaves exposed high voltage. Proceed with caution.

On that forum, BOpenshaw wrote:

"The speakers can be upgraded to repair most of the problems, a thinner diaphragm can be installed, a lighter conductive material can be used on the diaphragm, a pure copper charge ring can be installed around the diaphragm, you can break up the diaphragm to eliminate the single large drum-head resonance, (make the speaker as close to a Sound Lab as possible) "

The copper ring bit has been discussed here on DIY as a way to prevent *other* coatings than Acoustat used from ending up having the connection to the bias voltage fail...

Sounds like the builder has sectioned the cell into several elements, like maybe ML does.

And, apparently he uses a thinner, lighter diaphragm material and a lighter coating.

In one of his posts he shows that he does not know the particulars of the Mk-121 Medallion interface, or how it works differently than the "regular" interface.

But, imo, if they are made well, then they ought to work ok as ESL cells, they're just not Acoustats. They are other potentially ok ESL cells.

_-_-bear

Thanks for the link....great info...
I have Acoustat panels apart...thay can be pop apart...
I have Not used the felt on the back for years ...i find it eats to much of the top end... i put tape on the back....works great...gives the panel ridgdy...an a much better top end...there are mods that can be done to the 121 interfaces to make these speaker as good as one can get new today or Diy....
The bias is the place to start...Dont over look the Bias....get the bias setup right an you then can move on to the other steps...In the end the Bias is all a ESL is....I set the bias up so like with the SL you can set it....My bias is in it own boxs an can be set from 4-7k....goodluck

There you have it....i have not put any new mylar or coating on any Acoustat panels...
I just get more Acoustat panels....i like to use only 9" panels my setup is 3ea 9" pre side...best sound i have got out of any Acoustat panel setup....i have had theXs with the tube amps...1s,2s,1+1s2+2sM3,M4,1100....an have more panels than i need at all times.....I have ML an had SL A1...the Acoutats have been around for over 30years..for me...
Long live Acoustats....goodluck

I have a bad panel...
One thing i have used it the wire....it sounds vary good if you do as i have an put the bias in it own box...or set your 121 interface away from you speakers..i have about 4' of this wire ran to my setup...Vary low loss of V....sound better than any other wire i have ever used to run high V...
I have used it in my MartinLogan interfaces also....it sounds a lot better than the stock wire thay uses....goodluck

That panel looks like it has been rebuilt by Just Real Music .They used to have a picture on their website .Here is a terrible copy I had on my computer that shows the charge ring.

Attachments

• imagesCAOWX4SM.jpg
    imagesCAOWX4SM.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 109
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.