ultrasound speaker ( > 20KHz)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Can anyone direct me to a speaker/tweeter/transducer that operates well in the 20KHz to 60KHz frequency bandwidth? I know this is beyond human hearing range.

I looked at some piezoelectronics but the ones I saw cut off at this bandwidth, or no frequency specs were provided.

Something capable of 120dB would be ideal.

Delivering that frequency range at high-decibel levels is pretty demanding of the requested driver. The Aurem Cantus G1 Ribbon Tweeter has a specified bandwidth of 900Hz-40,000Hz at 102.0 dB 2.83V/1m. The tweeter is rated for 100 watts RMS/140 watts max, so you can add 20dB to the baseline sensitivity, resulting a 122dB at 1-meter with 100-watt RMS input.

So, with the Aurem Cantus G1 Ribbon Tweeter, you could get to 40KHz at 122db at 1-meter with 100-watts RMS input power.

Esl's can get up that high !!

I used to point my little 3.25" X 9.75" panel out the window to irritate the neighbors barking dogs and they would shut up every time I turned it on.
Then they would start aimlessly looking around when a swept the frequency randomly up and down. Ahhh,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha !!!!

I don't remember how high I was able to measure it as my amplifier couldn't get much higher than about 50khz or 60khz.
I didn't have an SPL meter at the time, but I did confirm that it was working using a microphone connected to my scope.

I believe that ESL technologies are used for the military apps that are very very powerful systems.

jer

Last edited:
but if you move up/down, L/R a meter? - likely >20 dB drops/roughness from beaming at those frequencies

It's certainly true that in the 20KHz-60KHz frequency range, the driver's are going to be quite directional in nature; the horizontal/vertical dispersion patterns will be very restricted. So, you'll need to aim the drivers at your target locations; otherwise, the fall-off in projected audio-frequency response will be fairly dramatic.

But, you knew that, right? :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.