Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

DIY Walsh driver revisited
DIY Walsh driver revisited
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th July 2018, 03:59 AM   #1031
cochleus is offline cochleus  United States
diyAudio Member

Greetings Jer
Haven't done much lately, no time
Thanks for the pong-a-thon

G
Old 30th August 2018, 09:52 PM   #1032
Sandasnickaren is offline Sandasnickaren  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Default Small update on my Walsh project

Hej!
Iím back.
Itís been a while since my previous contribution. Iíve done some development of my walsh speaker. There are two versions in the picture, the large ugly one that includes two twelve inch woofers and the latest which is the slim one.
Couple of comments on the slim version.
The driver is the same design as in the earlier version (you will find more details in my earlier post).
The big change is in the construction of the whole speaker. The box is a tapered horn more or less as per B&W nautilus design. The advantage is less or no box colouration of the sound.
The slim design also minimizes diffraction, which used to be horrible in the earlier versions. There is still some diffraction from the magnet.
The whole speaker i assembled on a 20mm stainless steel rod from the feet to the top through the magnet (you canít see it itís inside except for the nut thats on the top).
The rubber surround is mounted inside the cone.
Iíve included one rough measurement to give you some ide on the level of performance.

It sounds pretty good!

Thomas
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D117FADE-1108-41F0-B462-35F0EC337979.jpg (294.0 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg D1E92AC0-9B05-4460-9353-5C62052A2C16.jpg (148.2 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpeg 717873D6-0622-48ED-B148-CD5A4817C764.jpeg (76.3 KB, 112 views)
Old 30th September 2018, 07:45 AM   #1033
jerryrigged is offline jerryrigged  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Finally....but certainly not a finale....*G* ;)

Gary, Thomas....and all y'all, Hi.

I can appreciate max effort yielding min results, fur chure... "We" (in my business life) have been hog-tied with 3 major projects, two of which suffered major setbacks due to weather (rain, unrelated to Florence which gave us a pass locally; we were in TX, D/FW area anyway...), employee 'issues' (had 4, 2 quit, one had to leave due to losing a housemate) and the supplier of our slides and climbers having a major fire that decimated their entire 70K sq. ft. factory. Fortunately, our orders had been manufactured; the resulting chaos made finding them difficult. And this happened After we were informed that the merger 'they' had planned late '17 and put into motion...at the start of the 'busy season' (early spring)....hadn't taken into account That...their computer systems and networks....and their whole means of control of EVERYTHING....

...didn't mesh....*oops* Our April 1 orders....came in after the July 6 fire....

....mid August for one locally....the other mid Sept....mostly...

Add to that my older brother in SoCal passed away from a heart attack on April 13....Yup, a Friday. Just what everyone had expected from yours truly, but he failed to pay attention and act sooner to forstall that.

Not long after, I took the opportunity to have the pacemaker/defib installed that my herd of cardios wanted me to have onboard. Recent follow-ups of a CT scan of lungs shows no cancer and my new aortic cow valve (now 1 yr. old) and my drug therapies are working Beautifully....

So I'll likely outlive my of my contemporaries........unless y'all pay attention when 'stuff don't work right'....*This is a Clue; Take it*

Meanwhile, next pending project in Lexington, KY is pending if the rain lets up so the GC can deal with the sheet of granite under the entire site. If 'they' deal with it, it'll Perhaps forstall all the 'change orders' from nearly All the subs....and the LLC 'we' are already 6 figures in our contract....

Thomas, I'd noticed 'enclosure issues' early on; I called it 'honk', a 'megaphone quality' if you play the Walsh without one underneath. I opted to either have no enclosure other than a short base on one smaller pair, and infill the interior of the cones with a styrofoam cone that 'infills' that space. The foam cones fill +/- 90% of the interiors, effectively damping the bass (to my ears) at what one could say is their crossover point. A small Sony sub takes over at that point....

These units are about the same size as the German Physiks units they're styled after. Remarkably, they sound very similar to my larger pair, which are mounted on 4" dia. x 33" h. PVC sch40 pipes stuffed tightly with polyfill garnered from pillows that our dogs had opted to 'kill'. No porting; a shorter version done earlier performed better sealed....

The tapered version looks elegant. *S* With our pets, I fear they wouldn't stay upright for long, although they aren't near them often. But it only takes once... Actually had one toppled awhile back; it survived the concrete floor unscathed. My nerves, mostly...esp. after I uprighted it and surprised self that it still worked and showed no damage.

I make stuff Tough. I build playground structures. I've learned that 'overkill' isn't a bad concept...

Base diffraction: Since I'm reluctant to dive into cutting the baskets off (since I'm still using them for structure/support) and my next variant has vented voice coils (touch the back of the magnets after high spl for a given time...heat has been an issue for me and cooks the voice coils), I'll pass on that. It does yield an elegant and 'clean' appearance, but I'll pass on elegance for now. *S* I'm opting for a 2 way version, with a smaller cone directly above the larger one.

With the digital Xover, I can 'see' where to (perhaps) 'duck' major diffraction.
The MX882 will allow for precise level adjustments and give me better balance control, and the second 8024 will allow for eq in and rta out with the calibrated mic. Theoretically, with a second mic, I ought to use two channels of the MX to feed into the rta 8024 and see any differences....

I like the looks of your plot! I see correlations in it that my rta 'tells' me. *S*

This following year is going to focus on 'enhanced sophistication' of my pile of equipment and the 'puter and programs it runs. I'm not set up to run plots as yet, and would like to run some 3D waveforms as well.

One Great Stagger Forward: I bought a used wood lathe that will allow me to (finally) turn the cone forms that will (well, ought to...) make creating 2 mil alum & ti cones easier.... Push became Shove when I was quoted 400$ to turn 2 cone forms earlier...but the upcoming KY project reqs. 2 cedar forms I was quoted 500~600 for the pair.

The lathe, including most accessories + an extended base + the bench and steel cabinets beneath = 321$ at a local shop. Picked up some turn tools and misc. + the wood; I'm into it for 500ish.

I've used a lathe before, the forms for either are simple, and (big plus!) the spouse (who took wood shop & is handy with things wood) liked using a lathe..Yay!

Now...all I have to do is build a house on our property and do biz and build speakers.... Eat? Sleep? *shrug*
Old 30th September 2018, 07:47 AM   #1034
jerryrigged is offline jerryrigged  United States
diyAudio Member

...and THAT should make up for a long period of 'radio silence'....*L*

Cya...stay in touch....

DIY Walsh driver revisitedHide this!Advertise here!