Apogee Speakers Construction

Wrinex…..Now you talkin....I sill have the Apogee stages...the small full ribbon speakers
An the minors an Slant 6 two ways with 61/2 drivers....from the 1990s....Still the best ribbons I have owned...had the Duetta all so...bass in low 30...Wow what sound..but could not drive them with tubes.....

Yes get too Diying these...I thnk you well find much better sound than the Magnepan type panels...can wate to see what you think about there sound

Wrinex…..Now you talkin....I sill have the Apogee stages...the small full ribbon speakers
An the minors an Slant 6 two ways with 61/2 drivers....from the 1990s....Still the best ribbons I have owned...had the Duetta all so...bass in low 30...Wow what sound..but could not drive them with tubes.....

Yes get too Diying these...I thnk you well find much better sound than the Magnepan type panels...can wate to see what you think about there sound

nice, i already drawup a fast sketch based on information i could find here of the stages panel :). i have different magnets so have to adjust for it. i liked the stages the best as first try since it does not use seond clamp blocks etc, just simply use the rear plate. and the ability to unscrew the magnet structure sounds grea :)
So i wondered. the bigger panels the bass foil is siliconed to the bottom clamp and i believe also the upper clamp. in this case i guess only the top clamp ? since otherwise ur not able to tension it if you would glue it down on the base plate.

Only the out side bar is glued down to the wood frame.....the other side an the top an bottem wood bars... are only glued to the top foil side....held in place with screws...
it could like a door if it was just mylar...pull the screws out of the wood... open with the one side glued down

The stage was Mylar ...not capton...even the tweeter ribbon was mylar..an dubbel sided like the bass driver...the tweeter was changed to capton later...not the bass...
The dubbel foil sided bass driver panels on the Stages give them a biger sound....No other Apogee ribbon bass had foil on front an back sides...but the Stages....if they would have.... been ezer to drive....Wow that would have been great...But the late Jason Bloom...RIP..would have got more magic out of these great speakers...but well never know... but there you an others....I think you can do great things....good luck

Only the out side bar is glued down to the wood frame.....the other side an the top an bottem wood bars... are only glued to the top foil side....held in place with screws...
it could like a door if it was just mylar...pull the screws out of the wood... open with the one side glued down

I assumme the foil is glued to the underside of all the top clamps. then the clamps are screwed down after tensioned to the main frame ?

do you know if there is foam then on the main frame all around the perimiter ? or only on the clamping part (the one that can be taken of)

Last edited:
foam is on the all the wood clamps edges....say there 1/4WX1/16D slot... on the inside...the foam sets there in the slot....also on the woods edges of cut out of the magnet frame...no slot in that wood frame...
My stages i have today were made 1991....I have had 5 diff pr of Stages
Not one pr Stages ever had any buzz...My two pr of Duettas...buzz after time....I had Stages at the same time...I could see the full Krell Class A amps an preamps Dacs..that's what it took to make the Duettas sound so great.....In the long run would not work for me …..I lov tube tone....sound to much....

So the Stages Stayed....I would get sale them...an thin i see a pr of Stages price so low....last pr I payed $400....I well never pass them up..

I gess most fear...the BUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ...

One ting that the Maggys have is the open foil an mylar to the ear
to me sounds more forgiving...little like round piston drivers

The All foils can sound a little....Well like medal Foil!
Tube amp help this...A lot

Last edited:
foam is on the all the wood clamps edges....say there 1/4WX1/16D slot... on the inside...the foam sets there in the slot....also on the woods edges of cut out of the magnet frame...no slot in that wood frame...
My stages i have today were made 1991....I have had 5 diff pr of Stages
Not one pr Stages ever had any buzz...My two pr of Duettas...buzz after time....I had Stages at the same time...I could see the full Krell Class A amps an preamps Dacs..that's what it took to make the Duettas sound so great.....In the long run would not work for me …..I lov tube tone....sound to much....

So the Stages Stayed....I would get sale them...an thin i see a pr of Stages price so low....last pr I payed $400....I well never pass them up..

I gess most fear...the BUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ...

One ting that the Maggys have is the open foil an mylar to the ear
to me sounds more forgiving...little like round piston drivers

The All foils can sound a little....Well like medal Foil!
Tube amp help this...A lot

400.... damn the US, everything is always so damn cheap ;)

we would pay that for a pair of old smga's in the Netherlands..... might even be broken.

about the maggies. most newer maggies have the panels on the front. i never heard apogee's myself so have to build something similar to dictate differences between the 2 approaches, still its not a real apogee. so unless i hear one i cant be sure what the differences are :( but metalic, i hope not :) but i know what you mean :)

but ill be on the background sneaking around here for now :) i first have to finish some other stuff before i end up in a new project again :( i cant help myself.

This is just Me...but the New maggys ...the 1.7...are the mmgs..any front facing ....I cant take there sound at all!....I had the new in the box 1.7 paid full price $2k....I had to give them a fair test.... for maybe 4 weeks...sold at a loss..glad to see them go...
But if you don't go you cant know..hehe
The older Wire & Mylar facing to the back like the first one....Lot fun...the QR..an Even there "true real ribbons"...that a puff of air can take out...I found None are close to a real ribbon speaker like Apogee... But in the End I always go back to the martin logan frist CLS esl speakers....Quad 57 were great but the CLS well play louder an give as good a tone with a 40 watt tube amp....An my old Conrad Johnson PV2 an Pv5 magic tone Tube preamps of days gone buy...still sweet as ever

All just one mans findings.....Keep up the good work

This is just Me...but the New maggys ...the 1.7...are the mmgs..any front facing ....I cant take there sound at all!....I had the new in the box 1.7 paid full price $2k....I had to give them a fair test.... for maybe 4 weeks...sold at a loss..glad to see them go...
But if you don't go you cant know..hehe
The older Wire & Mylar facing to the back like the first one....Lot fun...the QR..an Even there "true real ribbons"...that a puff of air can take out...I found None are close to a real ribbon speaker like Apogee... But in the End I always go back to the martin logan frist CLS esl speakers....Quad 57 were great but the CLS well play louder an give as good a tone with a 40 watt tube amp....An my old Conrad Johnson PV2 an Pv5 magic tone Tube preamps of days gone buy...still sweet as ever

All just one mans findings.....Keep up the good work

well lets not beat the bush, apogees except there tweeter is not true ribbon either :) i do kind of like the older magenpan tweeters, they are laid back and forgiven.

look at the magnepan LSR... a nice little reworked SMGA but then they call it ribbon ..... they forgot they used to call it a quasi ribbon since it is not a ribbon. :( i've heard they also are gone use open baffle woofers.. oh dear... nothing wrong tiwth them but heey come on magnepan ur my true hero ! dont go down the path of money misnomers and trow away ur heritage ! :( please dont.

Well most people today don't wont any thing biger than a cell phone....or what looks like a one can speaker to play there mono sound...mono sound all it is...so I am not about to bash magnepan,,,
The wire is layed back an forgiving as you say....for my old ears lot to like...wire was to brite that why he faces to back...who would have ever thought of the sound coming out of the back in the 1970 would sound so good...well if you like panels speakers.
But about 5-6 years ago I got some of there QR so called foil...its not all alumanm…
It like a plastic it well starch not brake ...to me... like the 1.7 sounds dead...but if you don't have a reference point...I guess thay love the sound..of the LRC...Boy it Kill the mmgs. resale...
There some for sale nere me...can give a way...last year there were one of the best speakers magnepan made....but that's life

After all is said an done....the full rang ribbon type drivers are vary good...the Stage.Minor,slant6, ...two way with a 61/5" driver....an what some in the Apogee world have said is one of the best sounding 24"L X 1"W X 6 1/16 W 6 run mid-tweeter on Capton
Any two way setup is 97% to my ears of the Stages...An lot ezer to live with..

Attachments

• images403M8RXV.jpg
    images403M8RXV.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 520
  • images[2] (2).jpg
    images[2] (2).jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 520

If one does the silicone oil "fix" to these, can you access the rear foam by removing the plate? Or, do you have to open the panel from the front like a door, as you say?

If you must open the front, is the bar that does NOT remove the one with the tuning bolts? That is, do you have to re-tune it after reassembly?

Hi, I am a new member as of today. I have a pair of 1992 Apogee Divas. Like others on this site have posted, you can no longer get to the old Apogee posts to find very useful info. I have read many posts on dyiAudio and can see there are a lot of people very knowledgeable on Apogee subjects. I hope someone can help me with a question. I have had to replace my midrange ribbons at least 9 different times in the last 20 years, as a pair, because I like to play music loud. When Apogee sold the replacement ribbons they were only $60.00 a pair. Now they are about $320.00 a pair. I bought a lot of spare replacement ribbons from Apogee, Graz, and Robert Darangus but I didn’t keep them separated. Whenever I replaced my ribbons in the past they ALWAYS measured about 3.0 ohms each. As the Apogee Acoustic’s replacement literature states they should measure. I just replaced both midrange ribbons this weekend and they only measure 1.67 and 1.78 ohms. I checked and double checked and I installed them correctly. No shorts. My question is; will the lower resistance degrade the sound of these wonderful sounding speakers. Will they "burn out quicker" I now believe/imagine the midrange is now louder and not as full soundings, like it is playing at a higher frequency. I do not see any more movement than normal from ribbons when playing music. I am using an active crossover at 500 hz 6 db, as I have been, so I know the lower resistance isn’t affecting the crossover point like it might in a passive crossover. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

If anyone needs pictures of Divas apart let me know.

Thanks,
Tom

Hello,

I need the Divas when they are apart since I am trying to replace the ribbons
for the first time, that would be helpful for me since I never had a chance doint that

Who ever you buy ribbons from should have instructions and the gram weight to tension the length properly.
It’s not a difficult job to do, but it is a delicate procedure.
You are simply reversing what you remove and it becomes self explanatory along the way.

And always remember your dealing with — Magnets. —

I cut out a cardboard section and put 2 signs up in the work area with CAUTION—MAGNETS !!
as a constant immediate reminder

Regards
David