Acoustat Answer Man is here

Joined 2009
Paid Member
NO.....But have ran the MK121 interfaces running a pr of M4s as bass only panels...below 100hz...with spectra 33.....ran full range.

But have ran the Spectra interfaces of the 3....with the 3wire 9"panels
one full panel the full range ….one full panel for mid...one full for bass.
An ran 3 panels off the Speactra interfaces all on the full range taps only.
Sounds Vary good...well to me...
Like I say I got lot miles on Acoustat speaker Setups.

I have to say, I don't like the sound of resistor segmented panels...spectra or others...
the bass sounds unESL…..to me!
But I have ran,an had a lot of ESLs an other speakers, most never get the chances I have had from being in the Audio Bizz in the 1980s-90...

Whan anyone ASK Me....what Audio, should I buy.....one-2-5 of every thing I say...only way you ever find your sound...

The Martin Logan Can sound great....CLS 1, Love -hate,but the Best of all CLSs....The CLS2,2z not for me...lose the magic....But I still have them an the Spectra
Thanks. The reason I ask is because I have found that the best imaging with the Model 3/Monitor 3 is when the innermost panels are the ones measured for placement. Hence my curiosity about using a spectra panel in that position. The center and outer panels are faced away while the inner ones are directly facing my listening position. To me it seems logical they are the ones that matter the most by far. The center and outer panels are for the most part, purely ambient. A single spectra inner panel on each side would serve their purpose while being enhanced by the 3 wire panels' added ambience/dynamics/spl, no?

For my ear.....The model 3,with the one 8" panels give the best top end sound of the older type....the 9" panels have a added sound the 8" dont...I well call it that....just that one inch make the diff... I have toyed with the idea of using...one spectra panel 9", only using 1/2... 3" ran full range ...but it will fit were the 8" panels gos in the M3....An the Model 4 don't work for my ear...I think its the Bass tap..it just dose not sound right. well to me.

I don't like the sound of any of the Model 2,3,4s with the Mk121interfaces big box...when bolted to the back of the speakers! tone killer.
With the feet off the panel box... thay well stand straight up...my floor has no carpet...all them standing straight up sounds best to my ears...

Same could be said about the CLS....but it tuff to set that up...I guess it the feedback &
Ringing of the boxes.

One things for sure...never worket for years with any other speaker...like the Acoustat….well it ever end.....I gess when I end....thay have give me..a lot of happiness......Have fun with Audio...if you can

All just one mans finding

Last edited:
Spectra panels for sale

I have a nice pair of 9" Spectra panels (from an 1100) for sale for $150 for the pair, plus shipping. If anyone is interested contact me offline.

Dave

PS. Also have all the interface and crossover parts from the 1100 with upgraded parts. Contact me if interested !

With all that said, it's tough to find any replacement panel, and if all you can find is a Spectra panel, you at least have the comfort that it's among the newer panels available, and therefore might have more life left in it, and you will definitely get the improved conductive coating.

Finally, if you need to replace a panel in a Spectra speaker, you must use a Spectra panel. No way around that. But remember that all Spectra panels are the same, and can be used in any position within the speaker - it's all in how they are wired and driven.

I have a nice pair of 9" Spectra panels (from an 1100) for sale for $150 for the pair, plus shipping. If anyone is interested contact me offline.

Dave

PS. Also have all the interface and crossover parts from the 1100 with upgraded parts. Contact me if interested !

I'm after the older 3 wire 9" panel, only need 1 . Anybody out there can help?

Source for pin jacks?

Andy, hopefully you can provide some assistance...

I am looking for information regarding vendors/suppliers for the pin (tip) jacks and plugs used on the High Voltage boards and wire bundle terminations in the Spectra models. I'm trying to track down the original parts if possible.

Thanks in advance.

Spectra 8800

Finished these a couple of months ago. I thought they might be bass heavy but find they seem to work fine in my room, maybe because of the bass traps in all four corners. I just need to fix a rattling panel, soon to be taken care of, Thanks Dave!
Andrew

Attachments

• DSC_0250.jpg
    DSC_0250.jpg
    282.4 KB · Views: 231
  • DSC_0092[1].jpg
    DSC_0092[1].jpg
    753.1 KB · Views: 220
  • DSC_0184[1].jpg
    DSC_0184[1].jpg
    291.4 KB · Views: 224
  • DSC_0086[1].jpg
    DSC_0086[1].jpg
    331.3 KB · Views: 225
Finished these a couple of months ago. I thought they might be bass heavy but find they seem to work fine in my room, maybe because of the bass traps in all four corners. I just need to fix a rattling panel, soon to be taken care of, Thanks Dave!
Andrew

Wow, that's a lot of Spectra! Nice job! I'm curious if you changed any of the sector resistor values, to compensate for the increased panel area being driven on those segments. I'm presuming the extra column of panels is bass-only, so really only the bass-sector resistor values might change. But if you're happy with the result, leave well-enough alone!

Hi Andy
I didn't change any of the equalization resistors, though I was prepared to do so if required. I thought I would listen to it for a while and so far I've had number of people over and we all seem to agree that the bass is OK as is. I tried to use it with a couple of Contrabass subwoofers but it is better without. Sure can move a lot of air ;)
Thanks
Andrew

Andrew

Wow Andrew!
Spectra 8s, I’m surprised they don’t overpower your room.
What materials did you use for the frames and how difficult were they to construct? I would like to build new frames for the Spectra 22 I got from you years ago. One of my best audio purchases ever!
David

2+2 Continuing Problem

I was on this forum last year (I think) about my vintage Acoustat 2+2 speakers, which had a problem with one of the electrostatic transducer panels. It was suggested that this was a wiring problem. I couldn't fix the wiring myself, so I took it to the nearest service center (in another state -- I live near Asheville NC) and they were able to get it working for a while. Last month it broke down again, and it's the same darned panel! It's total fuzz while the other three panels on that side sound fine, as does the other speaker. Is it time to go for a replacement panel? Are there any available for a reasonable price? Alternatively, does anybody want to buy two speakers with a total of seven good panels? They're in decent shape appearance-wise and sound good to my ears.

Atom,

Wow !! Great work !! I'm jealous, but still happy with my 3300's in my small room :)

Please tell me when you get my old panels and integrate them into your huge system !!

Then you must tell all of us how they sound :))

Cheers,
Dave

Andrew

I was on this forum last year (I think) about my vintage Acoustat 2+2 speakers, which had a problem with one of the electrostatic transducer panels. It was suggested that this was a wiring problem. I couldn't fix the wiring myself, so I took it to the nearest service center (in another state -- I live near Asheville NC) and they were able to get it working for a while. Last month it broke down again, and it's the same darned panel! It's total fuzz while the other three panels on that side sound fine, as does the other speaker. Is it time to go for a replacement panel? Are there any available for a reasonable price? Alternatively, does anybody want to buy two speakers with a total of seven good panels? They're in decent shape appearance-wise and sound good to my ears.

Did you get them going ok? Interested to buy panels if available.

Did you get them going ok? Interested to buy panels if available.

New panels on order, also got a soldering kit and working up courage to challenge the beast again. So here's a question for you pros: There's some hardware on the sides of the 2+2 (see picture) about 9" from the bottom, into which the bolts in the picture screw to brace the unit. This hardware prevents me from rolling the sock halfway up from the bottom and so doubles the work of accessing the two lower panels. Does anybody know if there's an easy way to remove the hardware so I can roll the sock up for more convenient access?

Z

New panels on order, also got a soldering kit and working up courage to challenge the beast again. So here's a question for you pros: There's some hardware on the sides of the 2+2 (see picture) about 9" from the bottom, into which the bolts in the picture screw to brace the unit. This hardware prevents me from rolling the sock halfway up from the bottom and so doubles the work of accessing the two lower panels. Does anybody know if there's an easy way to remove the hardware so I can roll the sock up for more convenient access?

Z

Your photo wouldn't load for me, so not sure what you're looking at. In any case, for any panel work, the two straps must be removed, the interface removed, and the array unbolted from the base. This is clearly a two-person job, so you can support the array after the straps are removed, and then carefully lay the array down flat so you can work on it. All of the hardware should be ordinary bolts or screws.

Picture

Apparently I goofed up by trying to load my photo from the "Quick Reply" window instead of using the "Post Reply" button. So let me now try again. Here is a picture of the hardware that's frustrating me. I know how to back the bolts out, but the fittings they screw into prevent me from rolling the sock up from the bottom, so I'm wondering if there's an easy way to remove those fittings.

Attachments

• DSC00031.jpg
    DSC00031.jpg
    353.4 KB · Views: 73
Apparently I goofed up by trying to load my photo from the "Quick Reply" window instead of using the "Post Reply" button. So let me now try again. Here is a picture of the hardware that's frustrating me. I know how to back the bolts out, but the fittings they screw into prevent me from rolling the sock up from the bottom, so I'm wondering if there's an easy way to remove those fittings.

That version of the 2+2 is before my time with Acoustat, but I believe it's just an insert that you can pry-out of the hole after you remove the screw. It's purpose is to make a nice hole through the grille cloth. Perhaps someone with more experience with this vintage 2+2 can chime in here.