Acoustat Answer Man is here

Here's what Andy said when I asked the difference:

"A BLUE medallion label indicates the original Medallion transformers. This was an expensive modification. A RED label indicates Medallion transformers plus the C-Mod. The C-Mod was relatively inexpensive and is easy to do after-the-fact using commonly available parts. The C-Mod can also be done to non-Medallion interfaces with the same positive results."

Did your BLUE interfaces have the "C" mod done? If not, these would be a step up, but as Andy states above, the "C" mod can be done pretty inexpensively.

Not sure where you live, but I had a perpetual "wanted" ad on Craigslist for years. That's how I found my 2+2's and my 3's. You might be surprised what is on Craigslist.

Thanks for the reply. Actually I am not looking to buy any system. I am about to design and build one myself. I was interested in exchanging notes with pioneers in such projects

Thanks any way for the reply

You might get a better response if your post your question as a new thread. This thread is about Acoustat factory-built speakers, and likely only people who are interested in Acoustat speakers will view this thread.

After 5 years of faultless operation I seem to have a dead 9" panel. Checked all the wiring - other panels are fine. Seems to look ok, does the wire to film every come away?
Anyone got a 9" to sell?

While rare, it is possible for the bias feed wire to lose contact with the conductive coating on the panel. Generally speaking, this is not repairable. But before condemning the panel, do make sure there is good contact at the other end of the wire, where it connects to the pin-plug at the interface. I've seen cases where the wire seems to be attached, but the conductor inside is broken. Such problems can easily "hide" if the connection has heat shrink tubing on it.

If you have the older panels, Non Spectral.... with 3 wire....if one wire is cut the panel wont make sound!
Each of the panels 3 wire go to its same place...
I have seen them look like that were still making contack but one wire was cut...brock.... put the wire back like the other panels....it well play.
Ck all the wires....this is not a big deal..i have had this happen menny times.....

Yes I have working 9"Acoustat panels an interfaces......e-mail if needed
good luck

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
If you have the older panels, Non Spectral.... with 3 wire....if one wire is cut the panel wont make sound!
Each of the panels 3 wire go to its same place...
I have seen them look like that were still making contack but one wire was cut...brock.... put the wire back like the other panels....it well play.
Ck all the wires....this is not a big deal..i have had this happen menny times.....

Yes I have working 9"Acoustat panels an interfaces......e-mail if needed
good luck
Have you tried Spectra panels with non-Spectra? I mean for example with Model 3 where only the inner panel on both speakers are spectra, of course using both sets of interfaces, Spectra for inner and non for the 3 wire. It seems logical that only the inner panels would benefit from the 5 wire configuration since they are the panels focused for best imaging anyway. What are your thoughts on this?

Had a lot of Acoustat panels.....30 years ago started with the Acoustat X...with the Servo tube amp like you have...I think its you...

To day I have the spectra 3s M3,2+2,1+1s....also 3.5,wire older type that work with MK121 interfaces.....an 5 wire spectra panels....
There is a little better sound with the 5 wire non spectra panels...than the 3wire....

But what I hear with the spectra panels is the 1/2...3"wide high frac. sweetness..in the 9" panels only 6" have output....
All the spectra Speakers the 2,22,2200,3,33,3300,6600 only 1/2..3" is ran full range...this is the tweeter...or top frec….

But the Best sound I have got...is an has always been the 1+1s.....No thay wont play as loud as setups with more panels..but I think the MK121 interfaces work best with 2ea panels setups....I don't care for the M2..but the 1+1s over all tone an image of just one flat panel wide... just sounds more real....Too me any way...

All just ones mans finding

Search is good...tons of info on the site..an web.....good luck

Attachments

• 1865592-acoustat-esl-parts-panels-an-interfaces[1].jpg
    1865592-acoustat-esl-parts-panels-an-interfaces[1].jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 183
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Had a lot of Acoustat panels.....30 years ago started with the Acoustat X...with the Servo tube amp like you have...I think its you...

To day I have the spectra 3s M3,2+2,1+1s....also 3.5,wire older type that work with MK121 interfaces.....an 5 wire spectra panels....
There is a little better sound with the 5 wire non spectra panels...than the 3wire....

But what I hear with the spectra panels is the 1/2...3"wide high frac. sweetness..in the 9" panels only 6" have output....
All the spectra Speakers the 2,22,2200,3,33,3300,6600 only 1/2..3" is ran full range...this is the tweeter...or top frec….

But the Best sound I have got...is an has always been the 1+1s.....No thay wont play as loud as setups with more panels..but I think the MK121 interfaces work best with 2ea panels setups....I don't care for the M2..but the 1+1s over all tone an image of just one flat panel wide... just sounds more real....Too me any way...

All just ones mans finding
But my question was, have you 'combined' both spectra and non-spectra panels in the same speaker, of course using both sets of interfaces as required?

But my question was, have you 'combined' both spectra and non-spectra panels in the same speaker, of course using both sets of interfaces as required?

Spectra panels are fully compatible with any speaker having original 3 or 5-wire panels. The only thing that makes them "Spectra" is their half-n-half segmentation. Their behavior, frequency-wise, depends only on how the segments are fed and the system driving the segments. Therefore, driving them with a Spectra interface only makes sense in a full Spectra configuration. Driving them with an MK-121-style interface, with the panels' segments driving equally (i.e. paralled), only makes sense in full-area speakers intended to be driven by MK-121 (or even the servocharge amp).

Attempting to mix MK-121 and Spectra interfaces in the same speaker is surely an invitation for audio upchuck. If you need to replace a panel in an older speaker, it's okay to use a Spectra panel as long as you connect the two front stator wires together, and connect the two rear stator wires together. It then acts like a regular 5-wire panel, and works just as well for replacing 3-wire panels.

Will it sound exactly the same? That depends on the vintage of the panel being replaced. Some say 5-wire panels sound better than 3-wire panels., and if that's true, the Spectra will sound "better" than a 3-wire panel because it acts like a 5-wire panel. Acoustat also made improvements in the conductive coating (which all Spectra panels have), but that change resulted in improved dynamic behavior, and is generally not considered to sound any different except for its handling of large excursions (less crackling on bass notes).

With all that said, it's tough to find any replacement panel, and if all you can find is a Spectra panel, you at least have the comfort that it's among the newer panels available, and therefore might have more life left in it, and you will definitely get the improved conductive coating.

Finally, if you need to replace a panel in a Spectra speaker, you must use a Spectra panel. No way around that. But remember that all Spectra panels are the same, and can be used in any position within the speaker - it's all in how they are wired and driven.

NO.....But have ran the MK121 interfaces running a pr of M4s as bass only panels...below 100hz...with spectra 33.....ran full range.

But have ran the Spectra interfaces of the 3....with the 3wire 9"panels
one full panel the full range ….one full panel for mid...one full for bass.
An ran 3 panels off the Speactra interfaces all on the full range taps only.
Sounds Vary good...well to me...
Like I say I got lot miles on Acoustat speaker Setups.

I have to say, I don't like the sound of resistor segmented panels...spectra or others...
the bass sounds unESL…..to me!
But I have ran,an had a lot of ESLs an other speakers, most never get the chances I have had from being in the Audio Bizz in the 1980s-90...

Whan anyone ASK Me....what Audio, should I buy.....one-2-5 of every thing I say...only way you ever find your sound...

The Martin Logan Can sound great....CLS 1, Love -hate,but the Best of all CLSs....The CLS2,2z not for me...lose the magic....But I still have them an the Spectra

Last edited: